GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

I have a 2005 GMC envoy XUV. the key-less remotes work on…

Customer Question
I have a 2005 GMC...
I have a 2005 GMC envoy XUV. the key-less remotes work on and off. I put new batteries and cleaned pad connections. fob works on the machine that test them for output signal. Someone said it might be the receiver. If i buy a new receiver where is it located and does it have to be programmed to the vehicle?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: GMC
3/6/2018
GMC Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon,

These keyless entry modules can be a real pain when they don't want to work correctly.

Which module did you purchase already? I thought the keyless entry was controlled by the BCM on this year model, but I could be wrong.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i haven't yet was asking if I did would it have to be programmed to the vehicle
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
where is it located?
NEW KEYLESS RECEIVER - GMC # 10385605

It's looking like I was wrong. The keyless receiver is in the liftgate module.

Does the lift gate open and close normally?

It's located right here:

You will need a scan tool to set it back up after replacement.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not think that one it it. They said it is under the dash. Part number 10385605

According to the wiring schematic the liftgate module controls the keyless. Maybe the module you are looking at is just for the power door locks and not they keyless function, but I'm not seeing that on the wiring diagram either. I sure can't remember any additional module under the dash for keyless on this car.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
according to GM there is a remote keyless receiving module #10385605
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but the pic you have and the one i have are 2 different modules

Yeah, I don't know what that part is. Did the dealer give you that number as the keyless entry module?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
10385605 is the part number

Here is the fault diagnosis tree from GM- no mention of a separate module from the one on the lift gate.

Where did you get that part number?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
dealer

I'm showing that module fits a cadillac or an express van. They are calling it the theft locking module. Can't find anywhere saying it fits your car.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i will call dealer

Sounds good.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They say same thing as before. That part fit all 2005-06 trailblazer and envoy

They have to be wrong. The keyless entry is controlled through the liftgate (or endgate on the XUV) module.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
do you have that part number?

I'm really scratching my head on this one. I have replaced a half dozen of these liftgate modules for either a liftgate that won't work or keyless that won't work, or both.

I found one programming procedure that mentions the remote control door lock reciever AND the litgate module as needing programming after replacement. However, I can't find a listing for the remote control door lock receiver anywhere on any other diagram.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok I ordered the one you said IDK I will install and see.

I'll let you know if I can find something somewhere that shows whether there is a separate module.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
let me know cause this isn't it
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok installed the box had it programmed at dealer and still will not work

Good afternoon,

Which box did you end up replacing, the lift gate module?

The power door locks work with the switch right? Just not from the key fob?

Does the key fob work at all? Panic button?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have to get close to back side of car for key fob to work. Unlock works on both fobs Lock does not work with either fobs Panic works. and master switch inside dr door works fine

How old are the fobs?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
4 yrs
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
according to the signal detector they are working fine

How weird. It sounds like they are just weak transmitters but if they are only a few years old they should work fine.

Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic