GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

My pcm fuse keeps blowing while the fuel pump relay is in.

My pcm b fuse...

My pcm b fuse keeps blowing while the fuel pump relay is in.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

166,000 yes it started normally then died while driving it the fuel gauge is faulty and erratic jumping from full to empty during a drive.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your GMC?

2003

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replacing the 20 amp pcm b fuse. charging the battery. added 2 gallons of fuel because I was not sure it was empty

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Should I try replacing the fuel pump relay with another 8157 relay same one?

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/5/2018
Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online. 

I am reviewing your request and will post in a moment.

That fuse basically feeds the fuel pump. So if its constantly popping that means the pump is weak and drawing too many amps.

Being its a 2003, when did you last change the fuel filter? Often it get plugged and causes this. Also this is the last year for external fuel filters on these.

Filter was replaced at 152,678 miles it is now on 167,000 ,this was done in may of 2015 at the same time the fuel tank was replaced.

Ok, so verify wiring at the tank, and if that is good, then it is the pump again.

How do you verify the wiring at the tank if you don't pull the gas tank?
The fuel pump was replaced in 2014

Its a visual inspection, make sure nothing obvious is chafed or touching.

Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic