GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

2006 gmc Envoy p0171

2006 gmc Envoy p0171
2/23/2018
KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop owner, tech

This code is set when the drivers side of the engine is running to lean. To correct this code you need to check for fuel pressure " it should be right around 60 psi" vacuum leaks " this can be a broken vacuum line or leaking intake gaskets", or the problem can be clogged fuel injectors, or a bad injector that is not opening.

I just replaced the fuel pump the float was bad

I can not tell you how many times I have replaced a fuel pump, and it would not create enough pressure. You need to check it just to make sure the pump is good.

Please send me vacuum diagram and how do I test for leaking intake
Also how do I test the injectors

The best way to find a vacuum leak is to use gumout carb cleaner in short burst withe engine running around the intake and vacuum lines. If the engine rpms comes up when you hit a spot with the carb cleaner, that is where your vacuum leak is.

Ok I will try it

Let me know what you find and we can go from there.

Ok sounds good

Thank you.

Sprayed all around and nothing fuel pressure is good

What was the fuel pressure?

58 to 60

Very. Can you see what the lt trim is with the rpms up around 2000 please?

It drops down

But the st trim went way up. Have you cleaned the mass air flow?

No
I will first thing in the morning

See if that does not bring down the lt trim leaves. To reset the lt trim, hold the gas pedal tot he floor with it running in park. The rev limiter will kick in around 3000 rpms so do not worry about hurting it. Hold it there for 5 seconds and let off of the pedal slow. See if the lt will come down to around 3.

And you are 100% sure you do not have any vacuum leaks?

What size engine is in this truck and is it a 2wd or a 4wd?

2wd 4.2 checking again
You never sent the vacuum diagram so I am spraying blindly

Make sure to check the hose in the drivers side of the intake that is connected to the center of the intake. These hoses are bad about oil deteriorating the rubber and causing a vacuum leak.

This engine only has two vacuum lines, the main line for the brake booster, and the pcv hose in the center of the intake.

The evap lines are hard plastic lines, and have quick disconnects on them.

I have checked those and the cap on the driver side front

And you sprayed all around the intake where it bolts to the head?

2 cans 4 different attempts

I believe that you may have a bad mass air flow.

I cleaned it but will replace it

Let me know what the fuel trims do after you replace it.

Now it also has p0014

Then you may not have a bad mass air flow. This code is set when the cam phasing system has a fault. Let me do some checking and see what you need to do to correct this code.

Ok

Sorry for the delay. To test this system you have to have a scan tool that will control the DOD solenoids. Do you have one?

P2119
P0171
P0014
After mass air flow sensor replacement
I don’t think I have 1

I hate to say it but it is looking more like the throttle body is going bad and letting in to much air due to the throttle plate not closing all the way.

I will order 1 and will let you know

Do you have an auto salvage yard near you? A new or rebuilt unit will cost way to much, where you can get a good used one for around $50.00

I ordered a new one 190 dollars

Let me know when it comes in and I will walk you through replacing it, and doing the relearn.

Ok thanks

You are very welcome.

KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop owner, tech