GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

The engine is cranking over but it wont start. replaced all…

The engine is cranking...

The engine is cranking over but it wont start. replaced all the spark plugs and wires tonight not getting a spark, replaced the battery and put ether in the engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

At a quarter of a tank and put enough ether in there for two engines. havent checked the pump filter or lines yet though

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your GMC?

And yes the plugs are working. 1995 gmc sierra 1500 8c 5.7 leter

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sierra 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

With the help of a few friends, yes. and ive tried just what ive told you

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Well before i bought it the truck was run dry which is what started the issues

2/17/2018
Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online. 

I am reviewing your request and will post in a moment.

These trucks are known for 3 common issues. First is a failed ignition module. This module is the small module under the distributor cap. When it fails, there is no spark at all.
Second issue I have seen is a bad ignition coil itself.
third issue is a bad distributor and cap.

I would replace the module, they are common enough that many people even keep a spare one in their vehicles.

Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Cool. So say i replace all three of those and it still doesnt start. what do you think it would be?

Assuming that you checked fuses and wring prior to that, then computer behind the glove box.

okay, well im going to replace the module and coil tomorrow. we'll see what happens. btw might want to tell your IT department for this website that you have to keep reloading the page in order to send questions and receive answers. not complaining just thought you all might want to know

Thanks, ***** ***** pass the along.

alright, changed everything out and put more ether in there. still wont start but its cranking up and sounds like its trying to catch but nothing happens

Are you getting spark now?

Well to be honest with you I was the only one out there today and I cant crank and look at the same time. haha
I'll go grab some body and check

ok.

Definitely getting spark. felt that. and i double checked my wires. everything is connected right

IS timing out then?
Flooded?

I'm not sure im good enough to be able to tell you that

Try holding the fuel all the way to the floor and crank. See if it will start then, if not take out all plugs and see if they are wet.

Also any issues with the firing order?

shouldnt be. ive checked it twice now. unless im looking at the wrong schematic
thats the one

Ok, rotor loose inside?
Under the rotor there is a wheel, that is the reluctor for the sensor, IF there is a crack in that, it can throw timing out and causing no start. But I suspect flooded or something along that line.

okay how would i know if its flooded or not

Trying to start with fuel held fully to the floor, if flooded it should fire after a couple moment of craning. Otherwise taking out the plugs.

got it. so if the plugs are wet the engine is flooded?

yes

checked all the plugs theyre fine. tried to fire it up and this happened

Did you have the distributor out during any of this?

only when i replaced it. it was all back in when cranked it

Ok, I think you have it in but timed incorrectly. It sounds like your on #1 TDC Exhaust stroke.
So remove the #1 plug and put your finger in the hole, turn the engine with a wrench until it pushes out your finger, that denotes compression.Then line up the marks. After that look at where the rotor is. It should be on or just before the #1 plug wire. I suspect you are on the other side.. If so, take out the distributor and turn the rotor 180 degs and seat it.

okay. Well i will have to deal with that tomorrow. Its dark here now. haha

ok