GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

2006 gmc yukon 4x4 has an issue with the all wd, 2, 4hi &

Hi, 2006 gmc yukon...

Hi, 2006 gmc yukon 4x4 has an issue with the all wd, 2, 4hi & low buttons. intermittently, after they are pushed the transmission disengages while driving down the road. any thoughts, thanks?

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your transmission fluid last checked?

I'm not sure, it's a friends vehicle. i could ask him.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Yukon yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just experienced it this morning when i borrowed the vehicle from him. no repair attempted. it seemed to stay in gear after the awd button was pressed.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

My friend mentioned that the disengagement has happended in the past, but only after the 4 low & 4 high buttons were pressed. thanks for your feedback.

Answered in 1 minute by:
2/12/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue

we have a the switch in the dash and 4wd module few relays , the firs thing needs done,is scanned with GM tech II scanner and read 4wd module fault and based on these faults we can pull up a pin point trouble shoot and be accurate ?

what is the mileage on it now and does he pull a trailer

If you do not mind me asking are you looking for the most possible causes and taking it to a repair shop or you are repairing it yourself and you need step by step instructions
Please Let Me Know
Thank You
Chad Farhat

about 155,000 miles. not trailer pulling. while it's my impression that the switching mechanism between the awd, 2, & 4 is faulty, rather than the transmission itself. that is not clear. I'm trying to get an initial understanding of the issue before any attempts at repair. if it were simple to replace a part i might try to help him, otherwise i'd suggest he take it to a shop. thanks

we have a 4wd motor actuator on transfer cases ,that is most common , will need to pulled out and check the gears and electrical connection .

now is it the module or the switch making it do that or the actuator , we need to check ,

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician

Chad Farhat