GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

While changing the 3rd brake light assy., I lost my cruise…

While changing the 3rd...

While changing the 3rd brake light assy., I lost my cruise control ( will not set) & my remote start ( aftermarket). Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: While using the cruise control can you accelerate or decelerate? Have you checked the fuses?

Have checked all fuses & all are good.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your GMC?

02 Sierra

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sierra yourself? What have you tried so far?

I figured since it started when I changed the 3rd brake light assy., I would go back to the original one, but still have the same problem. New assy is LED if that helps.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that all lights have been changed to LED.

2/4/2018
Chris (aka-Moose), GMC Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• I am sorry for the super long delay.
  • We got overwhelmed today and could not keep up
  • I believe I can help on your concern if in fact you still need help after this long wait.
I'm still in the dark about what happened & how to fix it. Any help will be appreciated.

I can help on the cruise but remote start is not my area, is that okay?

Sure, I have a feeling that both are caused by the same problem, since they both quit @ the same time.

Does the 3rd brake light work correct?

Which engine do you have and what size truck?

3rd light seems to work fine. As I stated before, this & all lights have been changed to LED & everything (including the cruise & remote start) worked until I changed the 3rd light. I tried changing back to the original 3rd light, but it made no difference. Truck is a Sierra 1500 with 5.3 engine.

Last question. Do you have cable throttle body or electronic throttle body?

Cable

Use this diagram https://www.dropbox.com/s/4ffkyq4peqhe4gt/cablethrottle.pdf?dl=0

1. At the top of the wire diagram confirm all those 4 fuses are good.
  2. At your cruise module ohm test from the gray wire to the other 3 wires for the switches to confirm the module sees when each switch closes the circuit.
  3. Verify power and ground to the module
  4. Verify the stop lamp signal to the module works correct, brake applied and released
  5. Based on your work, if I had to guess, somehow you blew the VEH STOP fuse. That would be the only thing to stop the cruise for working based on your repair. If that fuse and circuit is fine then the cruise has stopped on its own, not related to your repair.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

It will be a day or two before I can check this out. It's about -3 wind chill out there now & I will wait for a better day.

Yuck I would stay inside too.

Chris (aka-Moose), GMC Technician