GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

Have a 2012 gmc terrain. I just replaced the battery in it…

Customer Question
Hey I have a...

Hey I have a 2012 gmc terrain. I just replaced the battery in it and now everything is in metric instead of US. In the menu the option for units is no longer there

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Yes. It's not leaking

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Terrain yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well I'm just trying to get the setting back for miles per hour instead of kilometers and Fahrenheit instead of celsius

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: GMC
1/30/2018
GMC Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 4 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue

you should be able to change it back using the info display menu

what is the vin # to see what procedure i have it for it to send it to you

2GKFLVE54C6376283

To change read below instructions

push your menu button down by the cd slot to switch to vehicle stuff- then clock the up or down arrows next to it until you reach the "US or Metric" choice- then press the set/clr button to change it, then press the menu button again to get back to the mileage etc. screens.

The option to change this is no longer in my menu

Scroll down to page 6 in this pdf file ,is this what you have ?

do you see where it says CONFIG

https://my.gmc.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2012/gmc/terrain/2012_gmc_terrain_getknow.pdf

This option was there before I had to replace the Battery and since then the whole vehicle is now in kilometers and Celsius

And page 12

I understand ,since it went back to default settings after battery died but we can change back

did you get the file , can you view it

I can view it. I understand what you're saying. However the option for units is no longer there.the first thing that comes up now when I hit menu is vehicle information. Then battery voltage
Tire pressure, remaining oil life, speed warning and I have the option to switch that on or off

hmmm, ok not sure on this it should be

how about cycling switch to off , wait 5 and start it and retry

Ok I will do that but this car has been started probably 5 times since it started doing this yesterday
The battery evidently died, so I jumped it, had a mechanic take a look to make sure it wasn't the starter or alternator and he replaced the battery. He said he tried for 2 hours to switch it back to Fahrenheit and miles per hour for my speedometer and he couldn't get it

if that does not work to be honest on 2012 gmc terrain, using gm techII scanner ,we can read faults and redownload the software if need to be in case it erased it some how

did you jumped while car is still connected or pulled battery and charged it

You will need a Capable Factory scanner or equivalent to Read the Fault codes in the Radio Module needed and based on these faults we can pull up a Pin Point Troubleshoot and be Accurate ,If you get the Faults Read ,post them back here for me and I can Help You Further on it & we be Accurate

I just jumped the car with the battery in it. It started right up, but I drove it for 45 minutes and it turned it off, it was dead again, so I jumped it again, took it the mechanic, he replaced the battery and now here we are
Where would I find a capable factory scanner

but why died again,something it or it was just a bad battery.

Because I turned it off after driving it for 45 minutes to see if it would start back up and it wouldn't

for communication modules,we need a specific gm scanner ,dealer or domestic shop that works on chevy ,gmc ,will have it ,

like advance auto ,auto zone code reader ,will not be able to see that module to read it

usually a $75 charge to hook up ast dealer or shop for a gm tech II scanner that will read it and can redownload software etc

Are you also saying that with these cars every time you replace the battery you will have to re download the software. That seem ridiculous

no ,not battery, i was talking on radio module

The only thing I have done is replaced the battery and that is when it started doing this

does the car start and run now and does not drain battery after a new battery in it , yes or no ?

was alternator checked for 14 volts while running with all loads on ,like headlight ,flasher etc

the car runs and starts just fine, everything is fine except for when driving down the road it using kilometers instead of mikes per hour, the car is in metric instead of US units. I can't get in through the menu to change this because the option to switch units is no longer there

Then take to dealer or a repair shop that has GM Tech II scanner or it will be a guess at this time ,something happened to the menu settings and you want know till you have it scanned , most likely they can reload the software in it

there is no fuse or relay or anything to get that back, do have to say ,it is rare and not usual for this to happen but i have seen it

I

at this point it's costing me over 350 dollars to replace the battery in my car

not sure what you paid for battery,but sound a little high, should be $180 for a good battery

but you need it right ?

plus the mechanics fee to test everything, plus the 33 on here, plus the 75 this scanner is supposed to cost, then plus whatever the dealership wants to charge. That seems a little high to me to just replace a battery, yes you're right

I mean ,I m sorry sir , there is no one word answer for this issue here ,if there was I would tell you ,the next step to do is what i told you unfortunately ,sorry the best i can do here but i understand your frustration

as far the cost i here , i do not hnadle or have access to billing, i get paid when you rate me only and i m an independent certified ase tech expert on the website .

GMC Mechanic: Todd Audette, Automotive Technician replied 4 months ago
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Automotive Technician
Phone call session started