GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

88 GMC 2500 -- Electrical issue with lights. Brake lights…

Customer Question
88 GMC 2500 -- Electrical...
88 GMC 2500 -- Electrical issue with lights. Brake lights won't come on, right rear blinker won't turn on. Need help figuring out where wiring issue is, so I can fix it.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: GMC
1/24/2018
GMC Mechanic: roybelding, Master Tech/Trainer replied 4 months ago
roybelding
roybelding, Master Tech/Trainer

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

the power needs to be verified at the brake light switch. if it is good test the output of the switch when you depress the brakes. if that is good, it goes to the turn signal switch and then out to the brake lights and turn signals.

diagram attached.

Roy

Okay. I have battery voltage at brown wire going into brake switch with key on. There are two wires going into brake switch, brown and light green. How do I test the output?

press the brake pedal and test the light green wire

Sorry, gray wire has power at all times.
Grey and green not brown and green. Sorry.

ok, you need power in and the other wire should have power when you push on the pedal.

is this a van or pick up???

Roy

Pickup. I've taken the switch out, so it's hanging. If I understand it correctly normal function when the brake pedal is not the pressed the button on the switch is depressed. And when you press the brake pedal the button on the switch actually opens up. What is happening, is that when the brake pedal switch is depressed, meaning of the brake pedal is not depressed I believe, there is battery voltage out of the switch. That seems opposite to me to what it should be.

nope that is good. from there it goes to the turn signal switch.

the wire that has power with the button out needs to be checked at the turn signal switch connector for power.

if it has power then most likely you have a bad turn signal switch. if it does not have power then you a wiring issue between the brake light switch and the turn signal switch

Roy

One symptom is that unless you pull the 15 amp STOP fuse, those lights stay on all the time, even with the key out of the truck.

you stated in your post the brake lights did not work????????

Sorry, in the back there are six lights, three on each side. Reverse lights work sometimes... Have to fiddle with the shift lever to get them to work. The other two lights on each side are on all the time if the fuse is in, even with key out of truck. On the left side, one is really bright, and the other really dim. On the right side both really dim. Press the brakes, and nothing gets brighter. Shouldn't even be on without headlights on, but they are, and they don't light up brighter when brake pedal board pressed. Push hazard lights in, on the dash it glows green but nothing blinks. Turn them off and Turn the left turn signal to left blinker, and both sides (four bulbs) in the back blink like hazard lights, but hazards are off and it's only the back blinking.
just as I say that, I just turned the truck off, and now the tail lights are staying off without having to pull the fuse. Seems like it's different just about every time we start the truck or try to use it..

the first thing I would do is replace the stop light switch.

then go to the dim side and check the connector and the bulb. be sure the ground is clean and tight then re check

Roy

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

the switch I was testing before? Replace it? (Brake pedal switch?)

correct that is the brake light switch

any update

do you need any other help