GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

I have a 2016 gmc yukon that was flooded in hurricane

harvey.i bought it as a...
i have a 2016 gmc yukon that was flooded in hurricane harvey.i bought it as a project but its more than i can figure out.do you know where all the computers are located. one i know is under the hood on the frame but someone told me there are 3. took it to a mechanic he cant get computers to talk to each other or sync up. some electrical works lights , blinkers ,radio a/c windows.it has keylees start but will not turn over. i put start button on starter and it spins over.any suggestions or put it back toghter and sell it and take my loss. thanks
1/23/2018
Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online.

how deep was it flooded?
Honestly there are about 15-20 different modules, how deep it was flooded will determine what needs replacement.
you have the ECM, the fuse block under the hood will need to be replaced, ABS module, In the rear is a chassis control module, trailer brake control module, both those are above the spare tire.
Then the heater module, body module, each door switch is a module, the air bag module is under the console, radio control head, human interface control module, XM module are all in centre stack. Seat modules under the seat.

Attached is the master component locator for your yukon.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
not sure on depth of water. i bought it through an online auction. probably 6 inches maybe in the floorboard.in my earlier note there are some electrical working.i would like to just replace modules you think might make it start and have them reflashed.the other electrical issues i will address one at a time if i can get it to start.or in your opinion is it best just let it go . thanks

Ok so ECM, ABS module, chassis and fuel module, trailer brake module for sure.
The way to tell would be first with a scanner to see what modules are actually talking. That we have no way around.

Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Automotive Technician
Phone call session started
Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic