GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

My 2002 Honda Civic Coupe 1.7 L X is not receiving brake…

My 2002 Honda Civic Coupe...
My 2002 Honda Civic Coupe 1.7 L X is not receiving brake fluid to driver side rear drum brake... I've replace master cylinder and changed both front brakes and now I have breaks in 3 of my tires but still no fluid is going to the driver side rear brake caliper
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/17/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

what have you done so far to bleed the system?

I bled the brakes using a vacuum bleeder and received fluid starting at the passenger rear moving to the driver side rear passenger front and then finally driver front but was only able to receive fluid out of passenger rear Front and Driver front
I'm not a mechanic but I am going to school to become a certified Automotive technician so working on brakes along with other minor car problems are things I do quite often

ok, so I have found over the years those bleeders actually introduce air into the system, the best method and it never fails is a home made bottle with tube and to pressure bleed them with the car running, they that and see if you get any fluid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4UQpxzQKMU

I tried that before I bought the vacuum bleeder

ok so you have a blockage somewhere then I would pull the line before the brakes and see if fluid come out after a pump if not there follow it back to the master, it could be a bad master

I'm sure a lot of error got in the lines when I swapped out the master cylinder I bench bleed it is good as I could before mounting it to the car so I pressure bleed the brakes and that didn't work I bought the vacuum bleeder hoping it might suck some of the air out of the rear driver side... The only side that is not producing brake fluid
I unhooked the brake line going into the caliper and gave it a few pumps and no fluid came out therefore I figured that no fluid would be entering the drum brake... in the master cylinder is brand-new just replaced 4 days ago

did you bench bleed the master? and when you were pumping did you start the car to use the booster for assistance

I bench bleed the new master cylinder and yes the car was running I also replaced the booster

did you pull the line at the master to see if fluid was coming out?

On another site I was told that maybe unhooking the rear lines from the master cylinder and trying to use air compressor to blow the Lions clear might help then repeat the bleeding process to get the air out would this be a good idea?

the hydraulic pressure from the booster is 10x more powerful than air from a compressor so if it didnt come out with that the line isnt going to do anything

Okay so maybe I can just try replacing the line running from the rear caliber as far forward as possible... Do you think that would be a good idea?

no I would check the pressure coming out of the master first even though its new I have seen plenty of new parts bad right out of the box

How would I check the pressure coming out of the new master cylinder?

just crack the line a bit and pump it, if you get a good amount of fluid you know the master is good then you can focus on the line, the rubber ones collapse sometimes and can be an issue

Ok I'll give that a try thank you

sure thing let me know it turns out and if you have any more questions

Will do have a good one

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your automotive question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too! Also if you would like further assistance in the future you can favorite me as well.
Assuring you the best services!
Kind Regards!
Shawn ASE Technician

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician