GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

Parking brake won't release on my '06 GMC Canyon. Cable

Parking brake won't release...

Parking brake won't release on my '06 GMC Canyon. Cable pulls lever, but lever won't disengage calipers.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have your brakes ever been replaced? Have you checked the brake fluid?

Yes and yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Canyon yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, tried looking for a manual release at the mechanism under the dash, but unsuccessful so far,

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just curious, is this a complimentary service or is there a fee?

Mechanic's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the GM Mechanic. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.

Okay, how much would the average question/answer service cost?

Mechanic's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the GM Mechanic's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Okay, sounds good

1/12/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Have you tried pushing and pulling the lever at the same time?

I've tried pushing, pulling and wiggling the ebrake pedal while disengaging, but it still is locked in place.
I've tried pushing, pulling and wiggling the ebrake pedal while disengaging, but it still is locked in place.Might be worth mentioning that the ebrake has been "sticky" in the past, but I always managed to disengage. This time it doesn't want to move at all.

how rusted is the underside of the truck ? have inspected the cables?

I've tried pushing, pulling and wiggling the ebrake pedal while disengaging, but it still is locked in place.Might be worth mentioning that the ebrake has been "sticky" in the past, but I always managed to disengage. This time it doesn't want to move at all.Not yet. I'll have a look now.

thats the cable for sure, that enough rust freeze a cable up, im looking up the next steps now

I've tried pushing, pulling and wiggling the ebrake pedal while disengaging, but it still is locked in place.Might be worth mentioning that the ebrake has been "sticky" in the past, but I always managed to disengage. This time it doesn't want to move at all.Not yet. I'll have a look now.Doesnt look too bad to me, for an older truck. This cable runs directly under the driver's side door. I assume that this is the brake cable to the rear calipers?
Tried sending a pic.Thanks. I tried pulling the wires/tapping the lever mechanism, all seems locked in place though.

ok so you should be able to pull the lever and push down and then pull up with your hand if the foot lever isnt coming back up we will need to pull the main cable in the picture and go from there, I suspect the cable is frozen and will need to be replaced

Tried sending a pic.Thanks. I tried pulling the wires/tapping the lever mechanism, all seems locked in place though.Sounds good. I'll try. So, pull the cable towards the front of the truck, or towards the back of the truck?
Tried sending a pic.Thanks. I tried pulling the wires/tapping the lever mechanism, all seems locked in place though.Sounds good. I'll try. So, pull the cable towards the front of the truck, or towards the back of the truck?As soon as i get it disengaged, it's never getting used again. New truck in March, don't wanna put any money in to this one, lol.

no pull the release lever and then with your other hand push in and pull out if it dosent pull out ill send you the main cable removal instructions

Tried sending a pic.Thanks. I tried pulling the wires/tapping the lever mechanism, all seems locked in place though.Sounds good. I'll try. So, pull the cable towards the front of the truck, or towards the back of the truck?As soon as i get it disengaged, it's never getting used again. New truck in March, don't wanna put any money in to this one, lol.Okay, trying that.
Success! Thanks, man. Drove around the block, all good.

oh good! glad everything worked out !

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your automotive question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too! Also if you would like further assistance in the future you can favorite me as well.
Assuring you the best services!
Kind Regards!
Shawn ASE Technician

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Tried sending a pic.Thanks. I tried pulling the wires/tapping the lever mechanism, all seems locked in place though.Sounds good. I'll try. So, pull the cable towards the front of the truck, or towards the back of the truck?As soon as i get it disengaged, it's never getting used again. New truck in March, don't wanna put any money in to this one, lol.Okay, trying that.Thanks again. 5 stars.

thanks for the great rating!