GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

I have a brand new battery in but my battery level sits at…

I have a brand...

I have a brand new battery in but my battery level sits at about 11 on the cluster and won't turn on, if I boost it the truck starts and runs normal but if I turn the truck off the truck immediately won't start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

No everything to the battery is brand new

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '11 GM?

It's a2003 GMC Sierra 1500hd with the 6 litre voretec

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sierra yourself? What have you tried so far?

My mechanic is fixing it but can't figure it out I replaced the starter tool out all aftermarket parts and checked all the fuses

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think the battery is draining or something when the key turns cause the battery on a charger reads good

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/12/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

You have a bad connection somewhere or a bad wire, I would check both of these and resistance on your main positive and negative lines

Did this already

ok what voltage are you getting at the main fuse ?

Between 12-13

if thats reading 13 your gauge should be at 13 somethings not adding up here

It's not though that's the confusing part, as soon as I hook up a battery to boost it the gauge jumps up

can you send me a picture of your battery please

I will tomorrow it's too dark out now is there a time limit for this convo

no we have all the time in the world and it dosent cost any more for days extended

Ok is there any other info I could give you tomorrow picture wise or info

thats about if for now, I think I just need to see some things to figure this out

I can take a video of me trying to start it

that would great, you will have to upload it to youtube so I can view it though

Ok sounds good I'll do that tomorrow

sweet! good luck with everything

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or if you want to discuss this further. And please take a moment and kindly click a positive rating (preferably 5 Star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your automotive question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. Rating me now does not close your question and if you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too! Also if you would like further assistance in the future you can favorite me as well.
Assuring you the best services!
Kind Regards!
Shawn ASE Technician