GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

New battery drains overnight. No but the battery is new. The…

New battery drains overnight ...

New battery drains overnight

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

No but the battery is new. The same thing happened before the battery was replaced.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your GMC?

2003 GMC Envoy

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Envoy yourself? What have you tried so far?

YES/NO. Just replace the battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

There is a ticking noise coming from the right rear passenger side

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/11/2018
Amedee
Amedee, GMC Technician

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today. I am reviewing the details now.

Would you like a test to help pinpoint the root cause of the battery draw?

Not really a mechanic but go ahead.

It is actually a super easy test to run. You can even do this yourself.

My son is outside working on the car now. I will get him.

Ok

im here

Excellent!

Would you like a test to help pin point the root cause?

Sounds good. Here it is. To diagnose this condition, you are going to have to pinpoint what is drawing the battery down. To do this, you will need to disconnect the negative battery terminal from the battery and put a test light between the negative cable and the negative battery terminal. With the key out of the ignition switch and the vehicle just sitting there (make sure the doors are closed) the test light should not light up bright. If it does, there is a draw that will need to be diagnosed. To find out what circuit the battery draw is on, disconnect one fuse at a time until the test light goes out. When it does, you have found the circuit that the draw is on. If you use a voltmeter to do this, anything over 100ma is too much draw. Once we know which circuit the battery draw is on, we can pull a wiring diagram of that circuit and go through one each component one at a time until we find/fix the battery draw.

Keep in mind this is a "starting point". My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

can I use a multi volt meter inplace of the light?

yes sir

do you put the multi volt meter on dc volts?

You would set the meter to the milliamps setting.

is that dc ma?
you still there?

What kind of meter are you using?

Can you send me a picture?

YES, DC milliamps

Amedee
Amedee, GMC Technician