GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

2001 GMC yukon XL 4x4 electric seat motors work

Customer Question
intermittently and fuse overheats...
2001 GMC yukon XL 4x4 electric seat motors work intermittently and fuse overheats
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: GMC
Looking forward to your input.
1/7/2018
GMC Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

OK is the fuse burnt? have you checked driver and passenger side connectors for issues?

I am unaware of the ‘connectors’ but the fuse will get very hot-so hot that touching it made my fingers blister-and cease to function again until I’ve removed it and let it cool down.

thats crazy it should be a 25 amp fuse whats in it now? and the "connectors" are the ones under the seat that plug the circuit in

Yeah it’s a 25 amp fuse. I suspected it was faulty so I found another one at a pick and pull and the same thing happened to IT. so right now I’ve left the fuse out altogether.

well this is defying the logic of fuses, I think the next best step is to do a draw test on the seat circuit and eliminate the draw it should be pretty high, when the draw is eliminated you will have found the issue

Ok I’ll heck back tomorrow if that’s ok, I’m heading into work. I’ll try to check the connectors, but I’m unsure what the draw test consists of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRcj1fQcWwU

Here is how to do it

hows it going?

I don’t think doing that would solve the issue
After watching that video I’m still unsure what you meant by ‘eliminate the draw’.

you have to do some diagnostic first, this is pretty advanced electrical diagnostics, if your not comfortable with the tests or dont understand I would recommend you taking it in to a shop that specializes in electrical repair

The fuse in question has a solid metallic case. How would you suggest I test it in a way similar to what he did in the video?

install a jumper but that circuit needs to be tested further down in the system for draws anyways

Ok I’m very sorry Shawn but I’m having so much trouble following you. I put a brand new fuse in the slot and after being in for three seconds, it was hot enough to burn me.otherwise, my vehicle has zero electrical problems.

yes there is a short to ground after that fuse in the circuit somewhere which could be a lot of things, you will have to go though and check each component that is associated with that circuit and check each one fore draw until the problem is eliminated