GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

2007 gmc sierra 1500 does not start sometimes when gear

Customer Question
2007 gmc sierra 1500...

2007 gmc sierra 1500 does not start sometimes when gear indacator does not illuminate took out dash cluster and it started but now does not

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Trasmission origanal yes checked brake switch

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sierra 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Had it looked at where I bought it at the time did not act up have no idea what to do thought cluster was the problem started 3 days without it now nothing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that is it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: GMC
1/2/2018
GMC Mechanic: david craig, Owner/[email protected] 3D Atuomotive replied 7 months ago
david craig
david craig, Owner/[email protected] 3D Atuomotive

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

it started without an instrument cluster for 3 days?

GMC Mechanic: Adam Legler, ASE Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Adam Legler
Adam Legler, ASE Master Technician

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you today with the concern on your pickup. Thanks aw well for your patience and for answering the questions above. My goal will be to keep this as simple as possible!

I'd like to begin with asking a couple questions: You mentioned above that the vehicle will not start when the PRNDL is not illuminated on the instrument panel, correct?

**This makes sense if we're having an input issue to the instrument cluster, since the engines computer uses that same signal to know if the truck is in Park or Neutral to allow starter engagement. **

With the key on, have you tried moving the shifter thru the gears to see if the dash indicators highlights the shifter position you're in?

GMC Mechanic: Todd Audette, A.S.E Certified Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, A.S.E Certified Master Technician

Do you still need assistance with your concern?