GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

My 2005 gmc 2500hd will not start shows service4wd on the…

Customer Question
My 2005 gmc 2500hd...

My 2005 gmc 2500hd will not start shows service4wd on the dash

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Battery are fine you can jump the selinoid and it will start but when you put it in gear it goes in hard and does not show on the indecator and won't shift stays in like 3rd or 4th ?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 GMC?

Sierra 2500hd with duramax

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sierra 2500HD yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i have looked at the4x4 switch

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I install a new transfer case abuot a year ago,and the truck has been showing service brakes on the dash off and on for about 6 months

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: GMC
12/23/2017
GMC Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

You either have a transmission range sensor related problem or the transmission control module isn't operable. It isn't cranking due to lack of range sensor input, the other symptoms are from the trans being in limp in.

The first thing that will need to be done is use a scan tool to see if the TCM communicates. If it does then range sensor data can be looked at to start and then testing of the sensor and it's wiring can be done as necessary.

If the TCM doesn't communicate and no fuses are blown then the TCM powers and grounds will need to be tested to determine if the problem is internal failure or a wiring issue.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.