GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

I have a 2005 gmc diesel. I am installing a ham radio but…

Customer Question
I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 gmc diesel. I am installing a ham radio but having a terrible time finding power for it. I can't find a place to get through the firewall to the battery(s). Is it better to tap into the fusebox ?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the engine? And when was it last serviced?

2005, serviced regularly. Just need a hot source without damaging the pickup.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 GMC?

Sierra

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sierra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Was going to tap into fuse box (left end of dash), but has the wrong size tap.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm open to suggestions. Just need a source to power my ham radio.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: GMC
12/19/2017
GMC Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 2 months ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** best place is at the fuse box, there should be several empty slots, just find one that has power at all times?

Using a fuse tap of some sort ? Anything in particular I should look for ?

just find a empty slot, then put a spade terminal end on your wire and plug it into the hot side,Tim

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH