GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

I have replaced my blower motor resistor but I'm not getting…

Customer Question
I have replaced my...

I have replaced my blower motor resistor but I'm not getting power to the resistor. Is there a fuse that could be blown?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?

To my knowledge. I've owned the vehicle for 2 years and have never changed a fuse

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2006 GMC Yukon XL Denali

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Yukon XL yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced the blower motor resistor and even hooked up a new blower motor. The old blower motor works because it sporadically blew before I started the repair.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: GMC
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/18/2017
GMC Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 2 months ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** resistor controls the motor with a ground, not power, so you wont have power at the resistor, do you have power at one of the 2 wires at the blower?

When I stuck my prongs into the pigtail, it didn't register but I'd like to go into a little more background. My previous resistor and blower motor worked but it was sporadic. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, sometimes it blew wide open when the fan control was set to low. That makes me less than suspicious it is electrical but the new resistor yields nothing.

ok, do you have a test light or a voltmeter?

I have a voltmeter but I may get a new one or a test light to make sure I have what I need. This is the wife's car so I need to get it repaired ASAP.

I can help you diagnose this, when can you have a test light?

It would have to be after work. I'm in SC. 3:09 currently. Are test lights expensive?

no you can get one at any parts house for about 10 dollars,Tim

What are my options to get your help later?

you can just return to this question, or request a phone call if you like.Tim

What are the fees? I'm on my work computer so I'd need to access you from another computer or request a phone call.

the phone call is 26 dollars, it is not required but may make it easier to communicae,Tim

Can I somehow get in touch with you to call me?

yes, just request a phone call and I will call you,Tim

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH