GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

Engine light came on took it in said it was bad egr cooler.

Customer Question
Engine light came on...

Engine light came on took it in said it was bad egr cooler. But light went off again and hasn't come back on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has your vehicle stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?

They ran the code, it hasn't stalled. They want to replace egr cooler

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your GM?

2013 2500hd

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I just took it to dealer to run code, then light went off and hasn't come back on

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: GMC
12/18/2017
GMC Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Can you tell me the actual fault code they retrieved when they ran the scan?

No I don’t know the code

Its possible you may need a new EGR cooler but in most cases, if its bad the light will not go away. Since the light has gone out I would not replace anything and instead, wait and see if the light returns. If it does you can stop by most auto parts store like Auto Zone and they can run a scan for you at no charge. As long as the light is not coming on then the computer is not detecting a problem.