GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

I have a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado lt 3500hd diesel dually…

Customer Question
I have a 2011...

I have a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado lt 3500hd diesel dually and when the truck is first cranked up or is running while stopped idling it only blows out cold air. If you start running or driving the ruck it will eventually warm up. It doesn't seem to idle high enough when it is cold. Any suggestions as to what is going on with the heater

Mechanic's Assistant: When it comes to this particular vehicle, have flat tires been a problem in the past?

No. No problem at all.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

First we had a water leak. We replaced the heater hose, the thermostats, the surge tank, and the radiator cap. The problem did not stop so we took it to our mechanic and he found a leak at the plate that is at the back of cylinder head. He took care of that. Then the heating problem started and we have just talked to different people including our mechanic. Some say it is the heater coil some say it is the vacuum some say it is the water pump. Neither the heater coil or the water pump are leaking .

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No not that I can think of other than when you idle it up it will heat. There is a difference in the way the fan sounds once you idle it up.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: GMC
12/17/2017
GMC Mechanic: roybelding, Master Tech/Trainer replied 2 months ago
roybelding
roybelding, Master Tech/Trainer

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

good morning

read your post. the first thing I would like you to do is to feel the heater hoses going into the truck from outside when the truck is warmed up. see if they are both hot or if only one is hot.

lets start there

They are both hot
The temperature gauge on dash reads 210 all the time too

ok, then the next thing is go inside the truck. when you command hot to cold and back, can you hear the mode door moving in the dash?? trying to see if the blend door is working

Roy

any update???

do you need any other help????

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

I hope you get it fixed

Roy

roybelding
roybelding
roybelding, Master Tech/Trainer