GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

I have a 2010 GMC Terrain sle last week it started to run…

Customer Question
I have a 2010...

I have a 2010 GMC Terrain sle last week it started to run rough meaning it would be a little jumpy when it was idling. It idled really rough. Also I know it needed a oil change. Brought it to get an oil change today and they won’t do it because it is throwing a faulty knock sensor code

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?

It started was intermittent but is now consisten

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Terrain yourself? What have you tried so far?

I would like to if it is easy enough. But I dob’ Know where to start

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: GMC
12/15/2017
GMC Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon,

First, it's a little odd that a shop would refuse to do and oil change because of a knock sensor code.

Second, this engine uses oil pressure to operate the variable timing system. If the oil is low or of poor quality it can cause the vehicle to run rough and tigger random fault codes- like a knock sensor code.

At this point, the oil has not yet been changed right?

Nope and they said that it is showing a quart low
They said they would change it if it wasn’t jumpy while idling they would of changed it

I would start by changing the oil. Then I would clear the trouble codes and see how it runs. If it keeps running poorly then you might have an internal engine issue. How long has it been since the last oil change?

9 months

That might be the whole problem. Oil quality is crucial on this engine.

If they refuse to do it do you know of a place that will do it?

I ran an oil change place for 16 years. We never turned anyone down.

Is it the dealer that won't change the oil?

Jiffy lube

How crazy. That's who I worked for. I would just try another location. They might put disclaimers on the invoice about "engine running poorly prior to service" or similar, but an oil change is going to be the best thing to do to see if this is all oil quality related.

What part of the country are you in?

Just called another shop and they said they would change it but I can run the risk of the car not starting afterwards. How likely is this to happen?

That would only be the case if the engine was run really low on oil and it is damaged internally. But even then changing the oil would still help. To their defense I can understand that they are just trying to avoid any liability for any problems it already has.

Please let me know if you need additional info.

I'd love to help you get this diagnosed/fixed.