GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

My 02 heater and EVAP monitors will not run complete for

inspection would a air bag...
My 02 heater and EVAP monitors will not run complete for inspection would a air bag light on the dash stop this from completing?
JA: Have you noticed a rough idle? Has there been any leaking?
Customer: no leaks, idles great no check engine light
JA: What is the model of your '02 GM?
Customer: 2005 GMC Yukon Denali, 6.0 engine
JA: Are you fixing your Yukon Denali yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes doing myself, ghanged gas cap, changed the Purge valve solenoid vent, filled the fuel tank, followed the drive cycle a few times as close as I can
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: my air bag light is on because one of my impact sensors is bad.
12/14/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, are there any current or pending codes in the ECM?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no codes at all

HI,

Ok, first, the airbag light does not prevent the monitors from setting to readiness.

I have found the most success doing the GM drive cycle with the vehicle on a lift. You can put it up on blocks or jackstands. This allows you to perform the drive cycle exactly as stated with no deviations. Just make sure it has 3/4 of a tank and sets for at least 8 hrs before doing the drive cycle

General Motors Driving Cycle

A complete driving cycle should perform diagnostics on all systems. A complete driving cycle can be done in under fifteen minutes.

To perform an OBDII Driving cycle do the following:

Cold Start. In order to be classified as a cold start the engine coolant temperature must be below 50°C (122°F) and within 6°C (11°F) of the ambient air temperature at startup. Do not leave the key on prior to the cold start or the heated oxygen sensor diagnostic may not run.
Idle. The engine must be run for two and a half minutes with the air conditioner on and rear defroster on. The more electrical load you can apply the better. This will test the O2 heater, Passive Air, Purge "No Flow", Misfire and if closed loop is achieved, Fuel Trim.
Accelerate. Turn off the air conditioner and all the other loads and apply half throttle until 88km/hr (55mph) is reached. During this time the Misfire, Fuel Trim, and Purge Flow diagnostics will be performed.
Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for 3 minutes. During this time the O2 response, air Intrusive, EGR, Purge, Misfire, and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
Decelerate. Let off the accelerator pedal. Do not shift, touch the brake or clutch. It is important to let the vehicle coast along gradually slowing down to 32km/hr (20 mph). During this time the EGR, Purge and Fuel Trim diagnostics will be performed.
Accelerate. Accelerate at 3/4 throttle until 88-96 km/hr (55-60mph). This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 3.
Hold Steady Speed. Hold a steady speed of 88km/hr (55mph) for five minutes. During this time, in addition to the diagnostics performed in step 4, the catalyst monitor diagnostics will be performed. If the catalyst is marginal or the battery has been disconnected, it may take 5 complete driving cycles to determine the state of the catalyst.
Decelerate. This will perform the same diagnostics as in step 5. Again, don't press the clutch or brakes or shift gears.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This all started when I had a check engine light on for the evap system. I cleared the light and it did not return but I also deleted all the info in my computer so I changed the fuel cap, the Purge valve solenoid vent, filled the fuel tank. I have run the drivers cycle a few times but always on the road. I need these to completely run so I can get my vehicle inspected, my inspection ran out Dec 1st.. I will try this drive cycle on jack stands and will let you know how it turn's out . Hopefully this works I will let you know as soon as possible. Thank you.

HI,

Sounds good and I am here every day

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, AUTOMOTIVE TECHNICIAN
Phone call session started
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager