GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

Replaced original battery with an Exide, 18 months later…

Customer Question
Replaced original battery with...

Replaced original battery with an Exide, 18 months later battery will not keep voltage if car sits for 4 days. Replaced battery under warranty from Exide, Worked for another 18 months same problem. If car is driven and only allowed to sit for 2-3 days no issues.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Had it checked by auto store- says "good but recharged"

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your GMC?

08 SLT w/ inline 6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just charging battery & added small amount of water to it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Amp guage in veh shows charging just over 14 v

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: GMC
12/14/2017
GMC Mechanic: Todd M,
 replied 2 months ago
Todd M

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am actually suspecting the battery to be beginning to fail. Although, this issue also sounds like you have a parasitic drain in the system. This would explain the battery dying after a few days. In order to determine this, you will need to perform a key off amperage draw test on the vehicle. If the amperage draw of the vehicle is too high, then you will experience this battery drain. Here, I am attaching a video that will explain exactly how to perform this test in detail. I would check the amperage draw, and if it is okay, I would replace the battery with a different brand. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwi4xs3L8YnYAhXF1CYKHRzmAMEQyCkIKzAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DKF1gijj03_0&usg=AOvVaw2yJBqpmFgSse-49Ok_WbTe

GMC Mechanic: Todd M,
 replied 2 months ago
If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.
Thanks, ***** ***** have an aftermarket alarm with remote start, which does not seem to affect anything until the battery is about 18 months old. Locked car w/o setting alarm still dies after 4 days. When battery was checked they said alternator was putting out 15.1 volts and suggested changing the current module, alternator and battery. If these items were in fact bad wouldn’t the problem occur prior to 18 months?? What brand of battery and rating would you recommend?
GMC Mechanic: Todd M,
 replied 2 months ago

I would definitely change these items, as the overcharging may cause the battery to prematurely fail. The system wouldn't begin to fail until time does it wear and damage. The alternator should be charging between 13.5v and 14.5v. 15.1 indicates an issue. Now that you mention the overcharging, the issue is likely not the battery. Although, optima is a great brand.

GMC Mechanic: Todd M,
 replied 2 months ago

Just as a reminder, if you have found this information helpful, please, do not forget to rate the service, as it is necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thanks again.

Todd M
Todd M
Todd M