GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

Works but will not come out of 4 wheel drive. to get it out

works but will not come...
works but will not come out of***** to get it out of*****need to turn the truck off. then back on and it will go out of 4 wheel and back to 2 wheel
JA: Do you have power steering? Have you checked the power steering fluid?
Customer: yes i have power steering. No I have not check the fluid.
JA: What is the model/year of your GM?
Customer: 2000 Siera SLT
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 5.3l
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Fixing it my self. I have already replaced the transfer case switch on the dash
12/13/2017
Pete, GMC Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Does the switch lights blank out at all with this issue or do they stay lit and try and blink into*****when you select it but then revert back to 4wd instead until you cycle the key?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The lights blink

Is it the 2wd light that blinks when you press it to put it back into 2wd?Or are all lights blinking on the switch when you press 2wd?

Are you trying to remove it from 4 high or 4 low when this occurs?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just the 2wheel
Everything works except going back into 2 wheel

O.k.,do you hear any clunk noises or actuator type noises coming from the transfer case area ( center under neath vehicle) when trying to shift into 2wd?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No not going into 2w but i do going into the other gears

O.k., the first thing that needs to be done here is to have the fault codes read out/checked on the transfer case computer.This will need to be done using a fully compatible scan tool that can plug into your vehicles data port and can read all computers.Once this is done any codes set then need to be diagnosed to then locate and repair the fault here.There is a transfer case/4wd computer that controls the shift operations.Since it does shift into 2wd when you cycle the key off or on the fault can be one of these 3 things

Transfer case computer ( unlikely since it does shift into other gears with no issues but still possible)

Front differential actuator ( which is most common to act up when trying to switch into 2wd and I have had to replace dozens of these before)

Transfer case actuator ( also likely but not as common as the front differential actuator since it does shift into other gears properly)

Having the codes checked and the circuits tested to the actuators will help to identify which is the cause.I can tell you how to test the front diff actuator if you want just let me know but the control module and transfer case actuator signals need to be tested electronically as well as monitored on a scan tools data list to locate if one is faulty.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Pete

Your welcome

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, GMC Mechanic
Pete, GMC Mechanic