GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

2015 che eh traverse bought new constantly needing wheel…

Customer Question
2015 che eh traverse...

2015 che eh traverse bought new constantly needing wheel alignments. Had new winter tires still vibrating like crazy

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the tires? And have they been a problem in the past?

Brand new tires. Has been doing this since I bought the car last year. No satisfaction from dealer.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Traverse yourself? What have you tried so far?

No it’s under warranty

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

What is the cause?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: GMC
12/6/2017
GMC Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good evening,

I have the same exact problem on the same exact car- it's my wife's car and we have a vibration at 40 and again at about 70. The dealer has looked at it a number of times and they have concluded that it's "normal".

As a mechanic this drives me crazy! It's not normal for the car to vibrate. I work at a government fleet so it's not like I can pull my personal car into the shop and use the shop balancer to balance them myself.

The whole situation has driven us nuts for a year and half now.

I am convinced that it is still a balance issue, but I've had it to two different dealers to address it and they can't make it go away.

I have however found a few ways to make the vibration better:

From a mechanic's perspective I think the issue is caused by a poorly calibrated power steering dampening system. To make the vibrations less noticeable the first thing I tried was inflating the tires to about 42 PSI. This makes the tires less likely to track small bumps in the road and cause road resonance to vibrate the steering components.

Next:

Could it be the cvs is not balanced properly?

I took the car to a different dealer and had them road force balance the tires- they found that 3 of the 4 tires were out of balance. I had already taken the car to the other dealer 4 times for a re-balance and each time they said the tires were either just a little off or perfectly balanced.

This leads me to believe that the tires may be slipping on the rims. GM put out a service bulletin about these rims being so smooth that the tires might slip on the rims (and therefore move out of balance) if the tech who mounts the tires uses too much tire soap. Since once again my tires have started to vibrate as badly or worse than when I first bought the car my next step is to take the car to a tire shop I buy tires from for my shop and have them dismounted, the tire lube soap washed off and then remounted with minimal soap and re-balanced.

It's definitely a tire issue. We had ours checked out by a GM engineer and they checked the CV axles and the driveshaft for run-out and found none at all. I raised quite a stink about the issue.

The problem is we even made them replace all of the tires and it was only better for a day or so if at all. That's another reason why I think the tires might be slipping on the rims.

What brand of tires do you have on yours?

Please let me know if you need additional info.

Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician