GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

I have a 2008 Acadia SLT. Wife took it to Milwaukee over the…

Customer Question
I have a 2008...

I have a 2008 Acadia SLT. Wife took it to Milwaukee over the weekend & performed with no problems. Hit the car start this morning, started right up & ran until it shut itself off. I believe that's 10 minutes. She went out to start it & leave for work, it wouldn't start. I tried jumping it, & it just cranked over, but didn't fire off. I went & put a new battery in it, which it needed. It fired off & ran for about a minutes & stalled. I ran diagnostics on it & it's showing nothing wrong. It turns over when trying to start, but doesn't fire. Haven't had any issues like this before now.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?

As far as I know. Fuel level is below quarter of a tank, but should still be plenty to fuel & fire off. I haven't checked the spark plugs, considering there hasn't been any issues until now & it fired off once I changed the battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Acadia yourself? What have you tried so far?

I read something something about resetting the anti-theft system? I disconnected the battery again with the key in the run position for 15-20 minutes. Went back out & connected the battery back up. Tried starting & is just cranking, no fire.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm trying to fix it myself to save what money we don't have. Figured if I can't get it figured out by tomorrow morning, it'll have to be towed to a garage to get fixed.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: GMC
12/5/2017
GMC Mechanic: david craig, Owner/[email protected] 3D Atuomotive replied 7 months ago
david craig
david craig, Owner/[email protected] 3D Atuomotive

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

when the engine cranking are you getting RPMs on the tach?

ok. when you turn the key on (not start) can you hear the fuel pump running for a few seconds?

Kinda hard to hear. Windier then hell here right now & the vehicle is sitting in the middle of the driveway. Normally, I try & listen for that stuff. Guess I'll try it in the morning if its not windy. I'm leaning towards fuel pump, since there isn't a fuel filter.

well there is a filter but its part of the pump assembly. if you have someone there who can put their ear to the fuel door?

Ok, one second

ok

it's kicking in. Can hear gas flow. So, that being said, pump still good? Probably time to check plugs?

I would check for spark, yes, but, is the theft indicator going out when you are cranking?

Is that the light on top center of the dash? If so, it hasn't been on or flashing when the vehicle is locked. Is there a reset button or fuse I need to pull & put back in?

yes thats it. standby

did you check the fuse?