GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

How do I get the "change engine oil" light to stop coming on…

Customer Question
How do I get...

How do I get the "change engine oil" light to stop coming on after I've just changed the oil in my 2001 GMC Yukon?

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

Last week.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Yukon yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. I had the oil changed at Oil Can Henry. Once before when I had the oil changed at Jiffy Lube, I had to bring it back for the same reason and the Lead guy did something to stop the light from coming on until the next oil change was due. I can't remember what he did but I think it had to do with holding the brake pedal down for some time (which I've tried).

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. That's it.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: GMC
11/29/2017
GMC Mechanic: George H., ASE MasterTechnician replied 7 months ago
George H.
George H., ASE MasterTechnician

Hello I will help,

Turn the key on but do not crank the engine. Withing 5 seconds press the accelerator pedal to the floor three times. Turn off key and start engine. The maintenance reminder should be reset.

Please let me know if this works for you by completing the rating

Thanks

Are you still with me?