GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

Battery saver light came on. Battery test with the engine…

Customer Question
Battery saver light came...

Battery saver light came on. Battery test with the engine off at 12.7 VDC, With the engine running at an idle 15.7 VDC. Trying to locate the issue

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

It pops up in the car info area

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '12 GMC?

Terrain I was told 2010, But the lable on the door jam is dated 09/09

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Terrain yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, Just testing the voltage, Alternator voltage seemed high

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

What should be the proper output from the alternator and resting voltage of the battery

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: GMC
11/27/2017
GMC Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So that battery voltage is high, and on a resting battery your looking for 12.0-13.5, so if your having a high output it may be due to a low battery, I would first have the battery load tested and if it checks out the alternator will need replacement, if battery is bad, replace it and re asses the charging system

I have been a master electrician for over 30 years. My mechanic skills are higher then most people that are not full time mechanics.
The car i bought from a used car lot about 4 mo. ago
Battery is dated 1/17 from Napa
I put my 125amp load tester on it and it tested good. the battery dropped to 11.8 volt during the test, was 12.5 after the test and recovered to 12.8 in about 45 seconds.
what should be my proper output and can I just replace the Voltage regulator?

the voltage regulator is built into the alternator and the entire alternator will need to be replaced, its not serviceable, and your looking for around 14.7 tops for your max voltage

hows it coming?

Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic