GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

ON THE 2017 DENALI WE MOVED THE ADAPTABLE CRUISE CONTROL TO…

Customer Question
ON THE 2017 DENALI WE...
ON THE 2017 DENALI WE MOVED THE ADAPTABLE CRUISE CONTROL TO ACCOMODATE THE GRILLE GUARD. IT WORKED FINE FOR ABOUT 200 MILES AND THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN THE CRUISE CONTROL QUIT AND A MESSAGE COMES UP TO SERVICE THE FRONT COLLISION CONTROL AND THE ADAPTABLE CRUISE CONTROL
WE REMOVED THE GRILLE GUARD AND REPLACED THE UNIT BACK AS ORIGINAL AND IT ACT THE SAME WAY NO CRUISE CONTROL AT ALL
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: GMC
FOREWARD PARKING ASSIST WORKS FINE. SO THE SENSORS MUST BE WORKING ON THE FRONT.
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/26/2017
GMC Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 months ago
Dan, Technician

Any idea what diagnostic codes are setting?

U0104 LOST COMMUNICATION WITH CRUISE CONTROL MODULE

Check the 15 amp USB/OBS DET fuse on left interior fuse box, let me know if it is blown.

I meant to say right interior fuse box, not left.

It appears to be ok but it is a 10

At distance sensing module check the black wire for good ground and the red/green wire for 12v. Let me know, thanks.

WIRES CHECK OUT BUT NO CHANGE
Thank You Dan
GMC Mechanic: Cary York,
 replied 6 months ago
Cary York
Phone call session started
GMC Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

You may have a couple of things going on. If the module truly isn't communicating then it has either failed or is missing power or ground. The communication code may have been set due to the module being unplugged with the key on. IN any event, you can't move the module from it's original location and if it has been removed from the vehicle it requires an alignment procedure with a special tool and scan tool.

Are you able to communicate with the module using a scan tool?

On line there are directions how to move such a unit by Ford What's the difgerence?

That's a completely different manufacturer and system.

Why is it necessary to mount it on the end of the frame where a grill guard is mounted?

Because that's where the module is designed to operate from. That's where it's field of view is designed from and it will not work if not mounted in it's original location.

When we moved it and put the grille guard on it worked perfectly well for 200 miles and then quit when another vehicle passed me

It didn't work perfectly, but you may not have noticed an issue immediately because it takes time for a fault code to set. It cannot be moved from it's orignal location.

I guess my alternative is to mount it in the original location and remodeling the grille guard to attach differently if that doesn't work the vehicle should be returned to the dealer and go as a lI've time customer to Ford

The module needs to be mounted in it's original location, it needs to be calibrated by a dealer, and nothing aftermarket can be mounted in it's field of view, if you want to retain the use of the system.

Looks like a real engineering screw up as a grill guard is an absolute necessity in Montana Thank you for the help

You're welcome!

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician