GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

My 2005 Yukon Denali will not crank, I have replaced the…

my 2005 Yukon Denali will...
my 2005 Yukon Denali will not crank, I have replaced the battery, starter, starter relay and the ignition switch as well as new battery cables and new grounding cable from body to engine. The issue is electrical not mechanical, the engine can be hand rotated.
11/19/2017
GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Master Technician

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer.

Do you have a test light or voltmeter?

If so have you tested for power at the relay?

Are you talking the starter relay, then yes
Is there another relay I should know about

Yes the starter relay.

Have you tried to jump the relay to see if the starter works?

It is a brand new starter, just replaced yesterday trying to fix this issue

I understand what you have done.

Do you know how to bypass the relay.

I'm trying to narrow done the problem.

Doing a direct jump from the battery to the starter, no I have not. Once the sun comes up I will try that.

There should be a schematic on the relay.

You want to jump the terminals that are on the contact side.

Okay if I take out the relay do a jumper wire it will crank, I have 7 different relays that all test out to be working but with relay it will not crank
Using the schematic on the relay if you jump from terminal 85 to 86 then it will crank

So the starter cranks when you jump the relay?

The other two terminals. One should have power with the key on.

The other one should go to ground when turning the key to crank/start. If you hook your test to the battery positive battery post. the other end to the terminal that will ground when cranking

No it does not go to ground, I totally removed the fuse box and cleaned and inspected every wire,

Have you put it in neutral to see if it will crank?

If you turn the key to run and jump the relay will it start?

The Engine Control Module (ECM) Is not requesting the starter.

Do you have a scan tool? Need to know if the ECM shows it in park or if it is seeing crank request from the ignition switch.

I tried neutral right away, yes if I turn the key to run and jump the relay it does start. No I do not have an ECM. I am having a tow truck come out and pick it up for delivery to my mechanic for help.
Looks like you went as far as you can without a scan tool.
If you need anymore help let me know.
Thanks for your help, we'll get the next one
Thank you

Did you have any luck getting the problem fixed?

GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Master Technician
Still at my mechanic trying to fix it.

If you need my help or have a question.

Just let me know.