GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

1997 GMC Suburban. Crank, but no start. Battery replaced.

Customer Question
1997 GMC Suburban. Crank...
1997 GMC Suburban. Crank, but no start. Battery replaced. Distributor cap replaced. Good spark, but no fuel on spark plug. Dropped gas tank and no power to fuel pump. No voltage across pins 87 and 30 in relay.
Submitted: 25 days ago.Category: GMC
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
12.51v between positive battery terminal and pin 86 on fuel pump relay.
Customer reply replied 25 days ago
11.9v between negative battery terminal and pin 87 on fuel pump relay.
11/16/2017
GMC Mechanic: Pete, GMC Mechanic replied 25 days ago
Pete, GMC Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

In the under hood fuse box locate the fuse ECM B ( 20 amp fuse) and make sure it is o.k.,this supplies the missing power.If this fuse is blown it will need replaced.If the fuse is blown the most common cause is the fuel pump being shorted or drawing to many amps so if you replace it and it shorts again unplug the fuel pump and see if it shorts again.If it does not then the pump needs replaced.If this fuse is o.k. test to see if it has around 12 volts DC on one terminal this fuse seats into with key on or off and let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Checked ECM B fuse with ohmmeter and it is good. 11.95v on one side of the terminal that this fuse inserts into.Checked voltage from negative battery terminal to pin 85 on fuel pump relay and it reads little to no voltage. I thought this was supposed to read 12v.

It should but only the first 2 seconds the key is on or when cranking.

Try cranking it over or test the first 2 seconds and let me know what it shows for voltage at 85

Also re test 87 and see if you have around 12 volts and let me know.Key on first 2 seconds.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Though to test solo so just used autostart. 87 was at 12.3v, dropped during crank and came back up to just over 12 shortly after. Pin 85 did read 11.4v just before autostart.

With the relay installed does it click when you first turn on the key the first 2 seconds?

Do you have a constant ground signal on 86 at all?

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
the relay does click when turned on the first 2 seconds. How do you recommend testing the constant ground on 86. When I test across positive side of battery to 86 it shows battery voltage. During start the voltage drops and returns which I am guessing is just the draw on the battery.

O.k.,if it clicks then you have the ground signal.And you have power on 87 which is what sends power to the fuel pump when the relay is energized.Re test the voltage at the pump gray wire and see if you have at or near 12 volts at it with the key on the first 2 seconds.If you do and the pump does not run test the black wires for ground at the pump.If these are o.k. then the pump needs replaced.If you are missing power at the pump then there is a break in the wiring leading from the relay to the pump needing located and repaired.

If you are missing ground at the pump trace the black wire to the frame ground and clean and tighten it.Remember you will only have power at the pump the first 2 seconds the key is on as well as when cranking over the engine.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, GMC Mechanic