GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

Have a 2003 gmc Envoy. Headlights shut off while randomly…

Customer Question
Have a 2003 gmc Envoy...
Have a 2003 gmc Envoy. Headlights shut off while randomly driving, when it’s idling sometimes it just shuts off. But it always starts right back up. Also lately I have had to essentially stomp the pedal to the floor to get it going. It doesn’t want to shift going up hill but does perfectly going down. Just really having trouble with this car since I got it. You can look at the records of my question. Please. I need someone to walk me through step by step on figures some, offnot all of these issues
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: GMC
11/15/2017
GMC Mechanic: Lou P., ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

for the headlights, is this on automatic mode or when you are turning the lights to ON

for the car shutting off, have you replaced anything and have you tested anything?

for the car to not have power it sounds like the same issue with it dying,.

either fuel pump or throttle or clogged exhaust.

or the trans is stuck in limp mode, is there a check engine light on?

do you have a code scanner?

we are not a diagnostic site but I will get you pointed in the correct direction.

Lou

Check engine light no. Yes sir I do in fact have a code scanner, for headlights it happen in either or, the HDM Relay I believe?? Is what I replaced. When I originally began have the problem that was my first go to. It worked for a bit. Then few days went by back to the same issue.

ok so for the headlights that would be the easiest,

we are losing power somewhere,

so would just need to probe with a test light when the lights go out to see where the issue is coming from.

I will check a diagram.

Here are the schematics.

hope this helps.

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may be paid for my assistance.5 stars is ideal :) . Please save me as a favorite and request me in the future.Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, all it does is pay me for my help. You can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back, thanks!
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified