GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

I have a 2005 tahoe. It has a manual control hvac. I want to…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl. I...

Hi Pearl. I have a 2005 tahoe. It has a manual control hvac. I want to put a thermostatic digital temperature control panel in its place. Can this be easily done.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you checked the coolant level?

Yes. about 130K

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just have a control panel that you have slide switches that you move up or down to be colder or hotter but you don't know what the temperature is. I want to replace this control panel with a panel that you set the temperature and it justs accordingly.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: GMC
11/15/2017
GMC Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 5 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

It would kinda be a pain and probably more trouble then it is worth. The manual doesn't contain multiple temperature sensors the automatic control does and you would need to run new wires between controller and blower motor on top of installing a different connector. It would really be a pain, even as a person who is good with electrical this isn't a job I'd want to do. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Let me know if you would like wiring diagrams to do install if you plan to do it anyway. Thanks.

Dan, Technician