GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

I have a 2017 Yukon Denali XL with the check engine light on…

Customer Question
I have a 2017...

I have a 2017 Yukon Denali XL with the check engine light on and 1 mechanic ran the diagnostics and said it was something to do with a seal or cover with the oil something or other. I trusted him and didn't pay as much attention as I should have and can't remember exactly what he said but also that it was a known problem. His wife became sick and he abruptly retired to care for her, he had his own 1-man shop. I am now taking it to a dealership to have it fixed but as a single woman, I know they are not always completely honest, so the more terminology and description I can give, the better.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Yukon Denali yourself? What have you tried so far?

Oh no,

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Sounds like there is an issue with a front, drivers side bearings and the battery keeps dying.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: GMC
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/14/2017
GMC Mechanic: xsvectOR, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
xsvectOR
xsvectOR, ASE Certified Technician

can you get me the trouble code? any running issues? its a 2017? is it under factory warranty?

No, I don't have the code, however it is a known issue as soon as my, now retired, mechanic called GM, they immediately gave him the part to order. It has something to do with a seal, cover, gasket, regarding the oil. The only running issue is that sometimes surges when I 'hit' the gas. It's a 2012, I think it is out of warranty.
still there?

yes can you get the codes?

No, my local mechanic's wife became terminally ill, so he retired and closed his shop to care for her. I would never intrude to ask about the code.
I will go to talk to Onstar and see if they can provide the code. Be back in a bit.

ok

Here's the scoop, the code is P0523. Power train oil pressure warning light. Apparently the surging is also a symptom.

is the oil pressure gauge not working corrcect?

As far as I know it is. I'm in need of an oil change, the data says my oil is 13% but when the light came on the oil life was 22%

does it have a needle gauge for oil ?

the failure is generally the oil pressure switch it is 2 hours to replace and the part is 75 dollars so it should be under 300 to repair

but it never changes, I rely on the online information

ok that needle is suppose to move oil pressure is like the blood pressure of the motor..to much is bad and to little is real bad,,, the sending unit is likley failed very common failure the part # is 12621234 it costs around 75 dollars and its 2 hours to replace

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.