GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

I have a 2005 youkan with 155k mileage last nite on the road…

Customer Question
Hi i have a...

Hi i have a 2005 youkan with 155k mileage last nite on the road i noticed rear view mirrow and clock radio loosing signal , car began to have engine surge and voltmeter shoeing discharge at times , no engine start up this am put load on battery and checked out ok ! try to jump start with battery pack , still no start ! can you help me out please ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '05 GMC?

Youkan

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I explained that to you already

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: GMC
11/13/2017
GMC Mechanic: Pete, GMC Mechanic replied 5 months ago
Pete, GMC Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

When you tried to jump start it did the engine crank over properly with the starter but the engine did not start?

Let me know,thanks Pete

no engine crank !

First check the battery cables at and leading from the battery for any issues with a cable being loose or corroded or even damaged causing this issue here.If a fault is found with any of the cables this will cause this issue and the affected cable will need replaced or cleaned and tightened.This will cause loss of power causing the issues you saw last night as well as cause the no crank issues you see now.Make sure the cable connection and cable itself is clean and tight at the under hood fuse panel assembly as well.

If all of this was already checked let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

checked all battery cables , no issues , ran load test on battery, checked good ! tried to jump start with battery pack , still NO start

Does it click when trying to start anywhere under the hood at all?

No click , is there some kind of relay in power distribution box or possible fuse , ?
Come on Pete I'm kinda in a hurry !

I apologize.This could take some time to figure out.

In your under hood fuse box locate the starter relay.See if it is felt to click at all when trying to start.If it is not then we need to do some electrical testing to see what signals are missing at this relay to go from there.You can also try and tap on this relay to see if it starts and if it does it needs replaced but I do not suspect the relay is the cause with all that is going on here.

Let me know when your ready.It should be labeled as starter relay.

Thanks Pete

found shorted battery , thanks for waiting thanks for your help Pete
I'm just being charged $5 bucks rite ??

That is great to hear.If you need anything else let me know.You will need to contact customer care on this charge you are speaking of.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, GMC Mechanic