GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

Rear defroster does not work on 2007 gmc envoy

Customer Question
rear defroster does not work on 2007 gmc envoy
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: GMC
11/13/2017
GMC Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Have you got a circuit tester or multi-meter to do some basic tests ?

i dont have amulti meter or a circuit tester but i will get one today where is the power grid you want me to test ? is it in the tail gate area? i have the tail gate apart so i understand the access

The power grid is on each side of the defroster lines , it attaches all the lines together, one side will be power the other side ground so you have to check both for appropriate readings. If there is a bad reading such as no power or no ground , the next step would be to check the wiring cord going from the body to inside the tail gat where the connection to the grids are, It may have broken a wire in side that cord from flexing it opening and closing all those years.

Just got finished checking the power grid and checked all wires for breaks . Everything is in good shape . Tested all lines in the window for breaks all is good . As I said in my initial question I changed the module in the tail gate and the one I bought drained the battery. So I put the old one back . Do U know the part number for the module? Are there different part numbers for that module? Here is a picture of the module that came with the car .

the numbers on the unit should match the replacement or it is wrong. Also if aftermarket I would use just OME when it comes to electronic parts.

Would u suggest a Oem from a dealer or do u know of a web site that I could buy from ?

E bay some times has deals on OME parts as I purchased an ECU there and was good.

When I look up that part on many oem sites I get an alternate part number if I look on eBay I get used items do u work at dealer to check this out or what cross referencing part that would work

ours may be different as I am in Canada so what I would recommend is call your closest dealers parts department and they will assist you free of charge to get the proper part number

Ok Im on the road right now I'll check on the way home at the dealer closest to me

keep me informed