GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

The battery on my 2008 acadia went flat charged it up but…

Customer Question
The battery on my...

The battery on my 2008 acadia went flat charged it up but now the car wont start and there is no power to the tailgate. When I turn the key all I get is a clicking noise from the fuse box

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

Consistent

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Acadia yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checking the fuses and the battery

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: GMC
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/11/2017
GMC Mechanic: roybelding, Master Tech/Trainer replied 8 months ago
roybelding
roybelding, Master Tech/Trainer

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

after you charged the battery, what is the battery voltage???

do you have a volt meter???

the battery may be the failure.

Roy

I dont know the imformation that you ask for but a friend took it and tested it and said it was a good battery it is only two years old

if you can get him to come to the car and test it with a voltmeter it would be where we need to start. we need to start somewhere and this is the beginning.

Roy

sorry he is not available and I do not have a meter

you can buy one at a parts store for about 10 bucks. otherwise all is a guess. I do not like to guess. it is expensive and most of the time wrong.

Roy

give me a few minutes and I will try and get the reading for you

ok

the reading is 12.30

ok it is low on charge. it needs to be 12.6

if you have another person with you, have them try to start it while you are checking the voltage. tell me what the voltage drops to.

Roy

goes down to 11.93

ok good.

make sure the shifter is in park or neutral when you try to start to be sure the range sensor is not working.

if that is good, then you need to see if you have power at the starter wire at the solenoid. it is the small wire. it should have the same 11.9 when the key is in the start position

Roy

how do I know if the sensor is working or not and where will I find the starter wire can I get to it without getting under the car

have to go under the car to check. no other way to verify power to the starter

Roy

cant find the wire

do you see the starter?? there is a solenoid on top the starter. it has a big wire from the battery and a small wire as well. the small purple wire is what you check

Roy

only see one big wire that breaks off to go a sensor

no, the big one goes to the battery not a sensor. can you post a picture of what or where you are???

ok

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy