GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

Ignition switch won't turn all the way off and release the…

Customer Question
Ignition switch won't turn...

Ignition switch won't turn all the way off and release the key

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Shifter good, steering works, key looks ok

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your GMC?

2002 slt envoy

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Envoy yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked shift cable, lock out on shifter feels funny like it's catching on something

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, other than of course if switch won't turn off neither will the lights

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: GMC
11/11/2017
GMC Mechanic: david craig, Owner/[email protected] 3D Atuomotive replied 8 months ago
david craig
david craig, Owner/[email protected] 3D Atuomotive

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

can you push forward on the shift lever and see if the key releases?

it does not

ok, To remove the key for now so it can be checked/tested and then repaired look under the key cylinder where your key is in the black plastic trim on the steering column housing.There may be a small plastic removable plug on this trim panel under the cylinder,Pry this out with a flat bladed tool and then use a pen or similar to insert into this hole where the plug was and push straight up until it stops,then you can turn the key off and remove it.

doesn't tell me WHY

HERE

how's it going?

do you still need assistance? If not it would be nice to let me know. Thank you.

No thanks

ok