GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

My 2008 Duramax did not want to start this morning but after…

Customer Question
My 2008 Duramax did...

My 2008 Duramax did not want to start this morning but after not turning over for a few seconds it turned over and sort of belched or burped. Then it siounded fine but when I tried to drive it up steep driveway it seemed not to be getting fuel. I stepped on the accelerator pedal really hard but got no response. I backed down the driveway and it seemed not to get fuel going backwards too. Then it just quit running and at the same time the battery died too.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

It seems to be using more diesel. And for the past 3 times I started it it would not turn over for a few seconds. Just no response at all and then it kicked in and turned on.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '08 GM?

It is a Chevy Express G 3500 one ton

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Express yourself? What have you tried so far?

Ha ha! I wish I had any sort of gift for mechanical stuff. I am just trying to find a way to see if I should take it back to the mechanic who changed to two fuel filters a couple of weeks ago--or take it to an experienced diesel mechanic. If it is a clogged fuel filter, the mechanics that changed them "guaranteed" their work. It had an engine light on but I thought that came on because it had a clogged exhaust filter last week after a long idle, but that error message disappeared after I drove it non stop on freeway for about 20 minutes. The engine icon stayed on of course, but I was waiting to stop by the mechanic to reset the fuel filter message anyway.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I hope I have not forgotten anything

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: GMC
11/10/2017
GMC Mechanic: Mike, Auto Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Mike, Auto Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen year of experience in the automotive industry for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

Im going over everything now & will give a response shortly :).

Are you saying the mechanic that replaced the fuel filters was not a diesel tech or mechanic?

There is two ways we can look at this situation

1. Take it to a professional diesel tech to get a diagnoses done, the previous mechanic could be at fault if not done the filters properly such as air bleeding to prevent air in the fuel system. Then again, it could be a completely different issue & coincidental.

2. You can always take it to a local auto parts store and get a quick scan on the engine codes and maybe I can give you an idea as to what it could be based on the code.

Let me know what you decide :), thank you!