GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

Truck will not remote start and check engine light on.

Customer Question
Truck will not remote...

Truck will not remote start and check engine light on. Advance Diagoned: Getting code P0674 GP cyl 4 issue, U0101 TCCM no comm, and code C0550

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your GMC?

2009 Sierra 3500 HD dM 6.6 Diesel

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sierra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Took to dealer for oil change and they said they would need to run diagnosses

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: GMC
10/31/2017
GMC Mechanic: Pete, GMC Mechanic replied 9 months ago
Pete, GMC Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The vehicle will not remote start as long as there is a fault code set and check engine light on.Once the repairs are done to correct the check engine light then the codes need cleared out with a compatible scan tool to then allow the remote start to resume proper operation.

P0674 indicates a fault with glow plug 4. I would say at least 99% of the time glow plug 4 needs replaced for this code.I would replace it.

C0550 and U0101 code indicates a fault with the transfer case computer.I would clear these codes.If it comes back then the transfer case control module may need programmed or replaced and programmed.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Hey Pete. How difficult is it to replace glow plug? Can you provide directions or provide a link? Where would I get the scan tool? How do I clear codes? Thanks Chris
At work so can't talk.

The scan tool is the same tool you used to read the codes.It should have a function to clear codes.If not you can sometimes rent a parts stores scan tool or purchase a code reader from a parts store to read and clear codes.

The glow plug 4 is the second one back on the drivers side if looking at the front of the engine.It is below the valve covers in the cylinder head assembly.Disconnect the batteries and then remove the nut that is mounted to the glow plug then remove and replace it.It threads into the engine block.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/94e4s9tmcije18j/gp-10-31.gif?dl=0

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete