GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

Engine turns over but wont start. Trouble codes as follows…

Customer Question
engine turns over but...

engine turns over but wont start

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?

Ok trouble codes as follows PO 301, PO 69E , PO 25A , PO 606...WHERE DO I START?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your GM?

2008 GMC SERRIA SLE 5.3L gas

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Trying fuel pump works relay ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Worked Friday didn't monday

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: GMC
10/31/2017
GMC Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 3 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

I will try to help with this issue ?

We need spark and fuel to start , lets see what we are missing ?

spray starting fluid in TB body and start it does start nad runs and dies in few seconds

lets start here

click on link to view DTC P025A troubleshoot ,we have to start here

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

DTC P069E

2008 GMC Truck Sierra 1500 2WD V8-5.3L

Save Article

DTC P069E Diagnostic Instructions * Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure. See: Vehicle > Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview * Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach. * Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category. DTC Descriptor DTC P069E - Fuel Pump Flow Control Module (FPCM) Requested MIL Illumination Circuit/System Description The fuel pump flow control module (FPCM) controls and monitors the operation of the fuel system. When the FPCM detects a fault and sets a DTC, the FPCM sends a serial data message to the engine control module (ECM) requesting the illumination of the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL). This DTC sets in the ECM when it receives a MIL request message from the FPCM. Conditions for Running the DTC The ignition is in crank, or the engine is running. Conditions for Setting the DTC The FPCM requests the ECM to illuminate the MIL. Action Taken When the DTC Sets DTC P069E is a C type DTC. Conditions for Clearing the DTC DTC P069E is a C type DTC. Diagnostic Aids Using the Failure Records data may help locate an intermittent condition. If you cannot duplicate the DTC, the information in the Failure Records can help determine how many miles since the DTC set. The Fail Counter and Pass Counter can help determine how many ignition cycles that the diagnostic test reported a pass and/or a fail. Circuit/System Verification Verify that DTCs P0191, P0192, P0193, P0231, P0232, P023F, P025A, P0601, P0602, P0603, P0604, P0606, P062F, P0641, P064A, P06A6, P1255, P2534, or P2635 are not set in the FPCM. If any of the DTCs are set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle. See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Diagnostic Trouble Code Descriptions

2008 GMC Truck Sierra 1500 2WD V8-5.3L

Save Article

DTC P0300-P0308 Diagnostic Instructions - Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle prior to using this diagnostic procedure, See: Vehicle > Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview > Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle - Review Strategy Based Diagnosis for an overview of the diagnostic approach, See: Vehicle > Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview > Strategy Based Diagnosis - Diagnostic Procedure Instructions provides an overview of each diagnostic category, See: Vehicle > Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview > Diagnostic Procedure Instructions DTC Descriptors DTC P0300: Engine Misfire Detected DTC P0301: Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected DTC P0302: Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected DTC P0303: Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected DTC P0304: Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected DTC P0305: Cylinder 5 Misfire Detected DTC P0306: Cylinder 6 Misfire Detected DTC P0307: Cylinder 7 Misfire Detected DTC P0308: Cylinder 8 Misfire Detected Circuit/System Description The engine control module (ECM) uses information from the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor in order to determine when an engine misfire is occurring, and uses information from the camshaft position (CMP) sensor in order to determine which cylinder is misfiring. By monitoring variations in the crankshaft rotation speed for each cylinder, the ECM is able to detect individual misfire events. If the ECM detects a misfire rate sufficient to cause emission levels to exceed mandated standards, DTC P0300 sets. Under certain driving conditions, a misfire rate can be high enough to cause the catalytic converter to overheat, possibly damaging the converter. The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) will flash ON and OFF when catalytic converter overheating conditions are present and DTC P0300 is set. DTCs P0301-P0308 corresponds to cylinders 1-8. If the ECM is able to determine that a specific cylinder is misfiring, the DTC for that cylinder will also set. Conditions for Running the DTC - DTCs P0016, P0068, P0101, P0102, P0103, P0106, P0107, P0108, P0112, P0113, P0117, P0118, P0120, P0122, P0123, P0220, P0222, P0223, P0335, P0336, P0606, P0641, P0651, P1516, P2101, P2120, P2122, P2123, P2125, P2127, P2128, P2135, P2138, and P2176 are not set. - DTCs P0010 and P0011 are not set - without LU3. - When DTC P0315 is set, the engine speed must be greater than 1,000 RPM. - Engine run time is greater than 2 crankshaft revolutions. - The engine speed is between 375-5,600 RPM. - The ignition voltage is between 9-32 V. - The engine coolant temperature (ECT) is between -7 and +130°C (+19 and +266°F). - When the startup ECT is colder than -7°C (+19°F), this diagnostic will be delayed until the ECT is warmer than +21°C (+69°F). - The fuel level is greater than 10 percent. - The ECM is not in fuel shut-off, or decel fuel cut-off mode. - The electronic brake control module (EBCM) and the traction control system (TCS) are not active or detecting rough road. - An automatic transmission shift with a throttle position greater than 95 percent is not occurring. - The power management is not active. - Excessive drive wheel slip is not detected. - The power take-off (PTO) is disabled, where applicable. - The cylinder deactivation is not in progress, where applicable. - DTCs P0300-P0308 run continuously when the above conditions are met. Conditions for Setting the DTC DTC P0300 The ECM is detecting a crankshaft speed change indicating a random misfire is occurring that exceeds mandated emission level standards or is at catalytic converter damaging levels. DTC P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305, P0306, P0307, or P0308 The ECM is detecting a crankshaft speed change indicating a single cylinder misfire is occurring that exceeds mandated emission level standards or is at catalytic converter damaging levels. Action Taken When the DTC Sets - DTCs P0300-P0308 are Type B DTCs. - When the MIL is flashing the fuel injector may be disabled for the misfiring cylinder to protect the catalytic converter. - Depending on the conditions that set the DTC, the engine may go into Open Loop. Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC DTCs P0300-P0308 are Type B DTCs. Diagnostic Aids - The Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn procedure may need to be performed. Refer to Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn, See: Vehicle > Programming and Relearning > Crankshaft Position System Variation Learn - Ensure that each fuel injector is connected to the proper fuel injector harness connector. Refer to Engine Controls Schematics, See: Powertrain Management > Electrical - A high resistance condition on any fuel injector control circuit can cause an engine misfire P0300-P0308 DTC to set without setting a fuel injector circuit P0201-P0208 DTC. - A high resistance condition on any ignition control (IC) circuit can cause an engine misfire P0300-P0308 DTC to set without setting an IC circuit P0351-P0358 DTC. - A misfire may only occur when the engine is operating under a load or when the engine is cold. - A misfire DTC could be caused by an excessive vibration from sources other than the engine. Inspect the following for possible sources of vibration: - A tire or wheel that is out of round or balance - Variable thickness brake rotors - An unbalanced drive shaft - Certain rough road conditions - A damaged accessory drive component or belt; remove the belt and safely operate the engine to evaluate - A damaged reluctor wheel Reference Information Schematic Reference Engine Controls Schematics, See: Powertrain Management > Electrical Electrical Information Reference - Circuit Testing, See: Vehicle > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Circuit Testing - Connector Repairs, See: Vehicle > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Connector Repairs - Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections, See: Vehicle > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections - Wiring Repairs, See: Vehicle > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Wiring Repairs DTC Type Reference Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Type Definitions, See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Diagnostic Trouble Code Descriptions > Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Type Definitions Scan Tool Reference Control Module References for scan tool information, See: Vehicle > Programming and Relearning > Control Module References Special Tools J 26792 HEI Spark Tester Circuit/System Verification 1. Engine idling, verify there is no abnormal engine noise. ->If there is an abnormal engine noise, refer to Symptoms - Engine Mechanical, See: Engine > Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures 2. Observe the DTC information with a scan tool. Verify that DTC P0201-P0208, P0315, P0335, P0336, P0351-P0358 are not set. ->If any of the DTCs are set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle, See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Diagnostic Trouble Code Descriptions > Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle Note: - A misfire may only occur when the engine is under load. An engine load may be necessary to verify the condition. - Random misfires that are not steadily incrementing may be normal. 3. Engine idling, observe the Misfire Current Cyl. 1-8 Counter parameters with a scan tool. The misfire current counter parameters should not be incrementing. 4. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC to verify that the DTC does not reset. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data. Circuit/System Testing Note: You must perform the Circuit/System Verification first. 1. Verify that the following conditions do not exist: - The fuel injector wire harness electrical connectors are connected to the wrong fuel injectors. Refer to Engine Controls Schematics, See: Powertrain Management > Electrical - Engine vacuum leaks - Fuel pressure that is too low or too high-Refer to Fuel System Diagnosis, See: Computers and Control Systems > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Fuel System Diagnosis - Contaminated fuel-Refer to Alcohol/Contaminants-in-Fuel Diagnosis, See: Computers and Control Systems > Component Tests and General Diagnostics - Restricted exhaust system-Refer to Restricted Exhaust, See: Exhaust System > Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures > Restricted Exhaust ->If you find any of the above conditions, repair as necessary. 2. Verify that there is no misfire on cylinders 1, 4, 6, or 7 due to cylinder deactivation-Refer to Cylinder Deactivation (Active Fuel Management) System Diagnosis, See: Computers and Control Systems > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Cylinder Deactivation (Active Fuel Management) System Diagnosis 3. Ignition OFF, install the J 26792 to the spark plug wire boot of the misfiring cylinder. Note: An erratic or weak spark is considered a no spark condition. 4. Attempt to start the engine and observe the J 26792 . The spark tester should spark. ->If there is no spark, test the spark plug wire for the correct resistance, refer to Ignition System Specifications, See: Ignition System > Mechanical and Spark Plug Wire Inspection, See: Ignition Cable > Component Tests and General Diagnostics ->If the spark plug wire resistance is not the the specified value, replace the wire. ->If the spark plug wire tests normal, refer to Electronic Ignition System Diagnosis for diagnosis of the ignition coil, See: Ignition System > Component Tests and General Diagnostics 5. Ignition OFF, remove the spark plug from the misfiring cylinder. Verify that the following conditions do not exist with the spark plug: - Gas, coolant, or oil fouled - Cracked, worn, or incorrectly gapped-Refer to Spark Plug Inspection, See: Spark Plug > Component Tests and General Diagnostics ->If there is a condition with the spark plug, replace the spark plug. 6. Exchange the suspected spark plug with another cylinder that is operating correctly. 7. Operate the engine under the conditions in which the misfire occurred. This may include putting the engine under a load or allowing the engine to return to a cold condition. Observe the Misfire Current Counters with a scan tool. The misfire should not follow the spark plug exchange. ->If the misfire follows with the spark plug, replace the spark plug. 8. If all conditions test normal, test or inspect for the following: - A lean or rich fuel injector-Refer to Fuel Injector Diagnosis, See: Computers and Control Systems > Component Tests and General Diagnostics - An engine mechanical condition-Refer to Symptoms - Engine Mechanical, See: Engine > Symptom Related Diagnostic Procedures Repair Instructions - Spark Plug Replacement, See: Spark Plug > Removal and Replacement - Spark Plug Wire Replacement, See: Ignition Cable > Removal and Replacement Repair Verification 1. Install any components that have been removed or replaced during diagnosis. 2. Clear the DTCs. 3. Turn OFF the ignition for 60 s. 4. If the repair was related to a DTC, duplicate the Conditions for Running the DTC and use the Freeze Frame/Failure Records, if applicable, in order to verify the DTC does not reset. If the DTC resets or another DTC is present, refer to the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle and perform the appropriate diagnostic procedure, See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Diagnostic Trouble Code Descriptions > Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle 5. Engine idling, observe the Misfire Current Cyl. 1-8 Counter parameters with a scan tool. The misfire current counter parameters should not be incrementing. ->If the misfire current counter parameters are incrementing, a misfire still exists. 6. To verify that the performance of the catalytic converter has not been affected by the condition that set this DTC, perform the Repair Verification for DTCs P0420 and P0430. Refer to DTC P0420 or P0430.

No spark

ok no spark so fuel pump is coming on and priming rail , we still need the injector to pulse even if fuel to rail

now ckp sensor crank shaft position sensor is common ,was intermittent prior to completely no start now?

with test light on the ignition coils do we have power ?

do we have a pulsed ground ?

If you do not mind me asking ,are you looking at fixing this yourself or looking to know the most possible cause of this issue and taking it to repair shop for the work ?

Do you have any prior experience in electrical troubleshooting and testing with a test light for power & ground ?

Do you have a test light & or power probe for testing ?

Do you have a test light so we can check for spark ?

Do you have fuel pressure tester to check for fuel ?

Did you scan it with factory scanner or equivalent & faults retreievd ?

ckp sensor location

ignition coil connector pin out

for you review

Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic