GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

Battery is dead all of a sudden. symble on dash = Battery

Customer Question
battery is dead all of...
battery is dead all of a sudden. symble on dash = Battery malfunction It's a 2013 Acadia
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: no to both questions
JA: Are you fixing your Acadia yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: we don't have a voltage meter, and we haven't done anything so far
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: GMC
10/26/2017
GMC Mechanic: AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. How old is the battery? did you notice if the battery warning light was on the last time you drove the car?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it's the original battery 2013 Acadia, did not notice any battery warning light
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it's the original battery 2013 Acadia - did not notice any battery warning light

Ok. I would suggest replacing the battery as opposed to charging it then since it's already nearly 5 years old. That's where you'll need to start. I suspect something got left on which drained the battery. possibly the light under the hood, interior lights etc. It could also simply be a bad battery in which replacing it will be all that will be required.

The reason i asked about the battery light coming on when you drove it last is because that helps me determine if your alternator was failing to charge the battery.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We pulled the car out of the garage, and 5-6 hrs later we tried to start it and move it back into the garage and it was dead. Could the battery get drained in 5-6 hrs?

It definitely can get drained in that time if something was left on. Often, at the drive in movie theatre, people try to leave after the movie only to find that their car wont start from listening to the movie through their car stereo. It doesn't take long to kill the battery if there is a drain on it. especially in an already weak, older battery.

Please let me know if you need any additional assistance. I will do all I can to help

AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician