GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

I was cleaning the battery cables and reattached them and…

I was cleaning the...

I was cleaning the battery cables and reattached them and now the truck will not start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

I cleaned the battery terminals with a wire brush. The truck was working before I did this - no it will not start.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your GMC?

2012 GMC Sierra 1500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sierra 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just cleaned the battery terminals and cables and tested with the Volt metre to make sure getting 12 volts off the battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

There is a remote starter - I have not tried it.

10/21/2017
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, my name is Jay

When you disconnected the battery you activated the theft system. Try to turn the key to on position and wait until you see the theft light go out before you try and crank the engine. It may take up to 10 minutes. Let me know if this worked?

OK trying it now
Seems to work the truck started
I guess it is not good to take the positive terminal off the battery

If the jumper cable helped then replace the neg. cable or clean cables as needed.

If no other questions then please enter a rating of 5 stars so I get credit for helping you out. Thanks.

The theft system needs to reset after reconnecting the battery each time.

Glad to be of assistance.

Jaybird61