GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

Got a 2003 gmc sierra 1500 HD 6.0 4wd. Customer stated it…

Hello. Got a 2003 gmc...
Hello. Got a 2003 gmc sierra 1500 HD 6.0 4wd. Customer stated it shifted into 2nd hard. Then he had to rev the engine up high for it to kick into 2nd. A few days later it wouldn't shift into 2nd at all and wouldn't go over 30 MPH. We replaced the 1-2 and 3-4 shift solenoid and filter kit while in it with new fluid. Still the same problem of not shifting out of 1st. No codes.
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/19/2017
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

can you tell me what size transmission is in this truck ?

4l60E or 4L80E ?

If you give me a few minutes I can put it on the lift. Will the VIN help? 2GTFK69U131273129

where is the big round connector at the transmission near the cooler lines passenger front of the transmission or drivers side rear of the transmission ?

there is a big round metal almost like knob looking part near the cooler lines on passenger side
16 bolt pan if that helps

can you upload a picture of the transmission pan so we can be sure ?

and there are NO codes set ?

perfect...thank you

that is a 4L60E

none of those codes should cause a no upshift into 2nd gear

with no throttle position codes or VSS codes this issue is going to more than likely be an internal failure of the 2-4 band

if it is driven with a scan tool and with the scan tool upshift the transmission where the computer is being told to shift into 2nd and it will not go into 2.d the 2-4 band is usually the failure

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Sounds like a new tranny which is where I'm leaning towards but wanted to double check before going that route.

its cheaper to pick up a used one complete from a salvage yard/junk yard as most come with good warrantys v/s buying a new or rebuilt one

but if your gonna keep the truck a long time it might be worth the price of a new one with the 5 year 100K warrantys they have with them

Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician