GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

Battery light was on this am but alt is charging. Battery

Customer Question
was dead but is 6...
Battery light was on this am but alt is charging. Battery was dead but is 6 years old.
JA: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?
Customer: Alt is at 14.7
JA: What is the model of your '14 GM?
Customer: Battery is at 12 volts
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Nothing yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: About 4 months ago truck ran out of gas and killed battery. Recharged and no prob since
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: GMC
10/3/2017
GMC Mechanic: Pete, GMC Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Pete, GMC Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you had the battery tested to make sure it is o.k.?If it has a shorted or dead cell in it this may be causing this issue here.

The other issue I have seen is a fault with battery cables or alternator cables being loose or corroded at or leading to the battery needing cleaned and tightened.This causes the battery light to come on as well.If all of these have already been checked and found to be o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, GMC Mechanic