GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

I'm having issues with a 2006 Jeep Liberty stalling on

Customer Question
Hi, I'm having issues with...
Hi, I'm having issues with a 2006 Jeep Liberty stalling on starting.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: GMC
9/30/2017
GMC Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So with this problem you are looking at a few reasons that could cause this. One could be a fuel system issue and your not getting enough fuel or fuel pressure to keep the vehicle running, another issue that could cause this is a sensor that calculates how and when to give the fuel such as the idle air control or throttle body sensor. These would be the main things to inspect first.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Shawn.

Basically my 2006 Jeep Liberty won't run. I can turn the key and it turns over and every so often it will start, but it violently shakes at a normal low idle before dying. Also even when I can coax the engine to life virtually no power is delivered when pressing the gas. Prior to this I was able to start it after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, but most recently it died while running and was overheating to the point the overflow tank was popping. It had also been responding very sluggishly when accelerating before these issues
I connected an OBDII scanner and it gives me a P0300 error. At the moment I have changed the spark plugs and the ASD relay, but I noticed a crack in the upper valve cover that is leaking oil and my exhaust is smokey/kicking out oil particulates

Oh wow, so with the overheating and shut down before you do anything else I would check the compression, you want at least 100 psi more would be better but that is least least amount it would take for the engine to run and no more that 25% variance between cylinders.

Is there a way to check compression with an OBDII scanner?
I have an inova 3130 and got a detailed readout, but am not certain how to read the information

the only way to check compression on that is with a compression checker tool, if you dont have one the local auto parts store will more than likely do a loaner tool for that at no cost.

Okay, so I checked the compression and all 3 cylinders on the driver's side were fine, around 160psi
All 3 cylinders on the passenger side were getting 0 compression. Would the cracked/leaking valve cover affect that, or could that possibly be the valve cover gasket or head gasket?

so something is going on with the timing system or your valves, the next step is to pull the valve cover and inspect while turning over, you may have a camshaft that snapped, only way to know though is to pull the cover, if you dont see anything going on there you wll need to pull the timing cover and inspect for issues there, and a leaking valve cover wouldnt cause this, that just keeps the oil in the head

After removing the valve cover I didn't have to start the vehicle; the camshaft doesn't appear to be broken, but 3/6 of the little cams or whatever that would push up and down were loose, and the housing for one of the little pins was broken

ahh so the head needs to be pulled and gone though, thats going to be a job there

From what I'm looking at it doesn't appear as though the crankcase is removable from the main engine core; all the pins and rockers or what have you look fine, just one housing for one of the pins cracked. Is there possibly a way in the short term to replace that housing where the valve cover connects to and get it running if even for a month?

that housing is the head, and it would need to be removed to inspect for other damage and make sure the pistons are ok, its a very in depth repair with no easy solution, im sorry

Mechanic01
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician