GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

Won’t start. Has new battery. Wont jump wither. 02 Sierra

Won’t start JA: Have you checked...
Won’t start
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: has new battery
JA: What is the model/year of your GMC?
Customer: wont jump wither
JA: What year is your GMC?
Customer: 02 Sierra ale 4wd
JA: Are you fixing your Sierra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: jump start and battery replacement
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: dash and lights work
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/29/2017
Pete, GMC Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Do you hear any noises inside the vehicle or under hood at all like clicking or anything when trying to start the engine?

Let me know,thanks Pete

I hear normal noise when turning the key to run. Turn to start and some of the dash lights go out and a single click inder the hood
Click under the hood seems to be coming from under the fuse box
I checked all the fuses

O.k.,the click indicates the ignition switch and starter relay are working.This in most all cases indicates the starter itself is acting up needing replaced.

There are two ways to find out for sure.

Have someone locate it under the engine on the passenger side near the back of the engine oil pan and tap on it while you try and start it.If it starts and runs then the starter needs replaced.

The other way is to test it.Test the large power wire at the starter with a test light to see if it has power at all times.Then test the smaller wire at the starter to see if it has power with the key held in the crank position.If they both have power then the starter needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Tapping the starter worked
Thank you

Your welcome

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, GMC Mechanic
Pete, GMC Mechanic