GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

My 2012 1500 sierra ign. key often will not turn. It is not…

Customer Question
My 2012 1500 sierra...

My 2012 1500 sierra ign. key often will not turn. It is not the steering lock jambing, If I pound my fist against the cylinder it will release.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Steering wheel is fine and the key does not appear worn. 50 K on truck.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sierra yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am not. Just the fist thing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It only started to do this 2 days ago

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: GMC
9/27/2017
GMC Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon,

It sounds like you are describing a sticking pin in the ignition cylinder. Your best bet is to remove the cylinder and replace it, or inspect it for debris to see if it is jammed up.

You can get the key to turn to the crank position right?

Do you plan to replace/repair it yourself?