GMC

GMC Troubleshooting Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers

GMC

I have 2009 Yukon Hybrid. Started today and "service battery

Customer Question
I have 2009 Yukon Hybrid...
I have 2009 Yukon Hybrid. Started today and "service battery charging system and service power steering warning came on? I had 11.91 at the battery while running and 12.21 when the vehicle was off. Any thoughts?
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: No noises. I'll check the fluid right now.
JA: Are you fixing your Yukon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'd like to narrow it down. I have re-seated the fuse block. It looks brand new, no corrission.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: GMC
9/24/2017
GMC Mechanic: FIX IT MAN, Master Technician replied 2 months ago
FIX  IT MAN
FIX IT MAN, Master Technician

Hello, my name is***** need more power than that at the battery when running. If you do not then these warnings will come on due to the lack of available voltage. It sounds like the generator is not putting out the correct amount of voltage.

battery measured 11.84 while running. voltage went up to 12.3 after it was shut off.

With the engine running the battery voltage should be close to 14 volts as the generator should be charging it.

Is it the generator or a short at the steering motor
Where is the generator and how can I test it?

A short in the steering motor would not cause this. It would blow a fuse. In the hybrid model the generator is located inside of the transmission bell housing.

how can I test it?

You would need to test the voltage at the battery. If the voltage of the battery does not increase to 14 volts with the engine running then turn on all of the electrical in the vehicle to see if it increase. If it still does not then it has more than likely failed. There is no way to test the generator with standard tools. You would need to monitor its output with a factory style scan tool. It is possible that you have a bad amp sensor on the negative battery cable if it is equipped with one. You would be able to see if it is reading correctly with a scan tool also.

where would the amp sensor be?

It is located on the negative battery cable near the battery. Not all models have one.

FIX  IT MAN
FIX  IT MAN
FIX IT MAN, Master Technician