xsvectOR
xsvectOR, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  car expert!
6149662

Traction control light on reduced engine power, No i was

Customer Question

Traction control light on reduced engine power
JA: Do you know the code? Did you check the fuses?
Customer: No i was just driving home and power reduced and engine and traction control light came on just happened ten minutes ago no stores open
JA: What is the model/year of your GMC?
Customer: 2005 yukon
JA: Are you fixing your Yukon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing i just got it home didnt know where to start
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: GMC
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 29 days ago.

do you have a scan tool?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
No
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 29 days ago.

The check engine light or reduced power or traction light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.
The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes

if you provide me a diagnostic code we can narrow down the cause of failure

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Ok
Expert:  xsvectOR replied 29 days ago.

Hope you can rate my service 5 star

Expert:  xsvectOR replied 29 days ago.

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue
If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.
A 5 Star Rating is muPlease let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue
If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.
A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated
If you feel I have noPlease let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue
If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.
A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated
If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue
Please keep in mind thaPlease let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue
If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.
A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated
Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.
you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue
(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)
Thank You
John S